2016 MBP graphic issue - is this expected?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by croco_dile, May 28, 2017.

1. croco_dile, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

croco_dile macrumors regular

Hi,

I have had a couple of issues with my 2016 MBP 13" with touchbar.

Issue 1:
    Intermittent video problem on 2016 MBP

Apple replaced the logic board on the weekend, and on day 1, this problem seems to have been fixed. More tests required given the problem is intermittent in nature.

Issue 2:
    Graphic glitch on external monitor when closing the lid of 2016 13" MBP

When I first got the MBP back after the repair, I did not have this issue for the first 3-4 hours, but then it came back and is consistently reproducible. While not a biggie, it is annoying and to me not acceptable for a $3k machine.

The same problem also occured on the loan machine Apple gave me. So I think it is quite common.

Do you guys have this problem (issue 2)? is it considered 'normal' or 'expected'?

Edit: just to add, the monitor I use is a LG27UD88 and uses a USB C connection.

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

What the description in detail of problem 2?

The units almost always take a second or two to recognize the change in desktop size and expanding or contracting when opening and closing the lid.

3. croco_dile thread starter macrumors regular

Did you see the weird look graphic pattern that was displayed on the external monitor?

[​IMG]

4. croco_dile thread starter macrumors regular

Another day, another symptom:

Can those of you with a 2016 MBP and an external monitor please confirm if this is happening on your setup? thanks

5. fokmik macrumors 68000

i guess, if you have macOS up to date, the solution is a fresh install

6. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Is that it? a quick flash of the frame buffer as it switches? if so then who cares, its not a fault. You see this when switching display/resolution on other Macs, some are quicker than others. I used to see this often when using Parallels but not with VMware.

7. croco_dile thread starter macrumors regular

I have never seen this in all the other MacBooks I have owned - all 5 generations.

Why do you say it's not a fault, when it look dodgy and showing inconsistent behaviours?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017 ---
    This happens on a fresh install of OS.

8. Rina11 macrumors member

Rina11

I have to agree with OP I've never seen that before on any of my devices I would definitely get it checked out