2016 MBP Graphics Glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkos, Feb 12, 2017.

1. jkos macrumors newbie

After starting the computer and searching in spotlight, I get this weird graphics glitch on the screen. It only does this once; if I open spotlight again it's gone. It happens again though if I restart the computer. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it more likely to be a software problem or hardware problem? Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 8.10.45 PM.png

Some apps do this too. For example, sometimes when opening large powerpoint files, the progress status bar shown while the file opens has this same pixelated effect.

2. sirix macrumors newbie

yes, same issue with me. no idea if its hardware or software

3. ntnskrds macrumors member

Yes it happens to me too... As you say, it happens only with some class of popup windows (i.e. the spotlight search window, the progress pop-up when copying files or when connecting to remote servers etc). It happens only the first time such a popup window is opened, never to be seen again until the machine is restarted. The issue appears only when the integrated GPU is in use. If your machine has a discrete GPU and you disable 'Automatic graphics switching' in Preferences/Energy Saver then you will never see it again.

I can't really tell whether it is a software or hardware issue but it seems to me that a software workaround is definitely possible.

Here is a relevant thread in Apple Discussions