2016 MBP keys touching the screen? Screen protectors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevan, Jan 7, 2017.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

An old issue with MacBooks, but I don't think I've personally had it before - one of the keys (left shift) seems to be leaving a mark on my screen. It happens when I don't clean it for a few days. I don't think this is a big deal, but paranoia works its magic, so I ordered this

https://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover

I like the idea of having a small cloth to wipe the screen with me, and it seems safe enough to use. They explain how they designed it to fit the small gap and all, but I've been wondering - can these somehow damage the hinge or screen or something?

I may end up not using it, but wanted to see what people think of those. Thanks.

2. matram macrumors member

Used mine a couple of days.

The cloth is very thin so I doubt it interfers with the closing. I would assume the only effect would be that it depresses the keys a tiny bit as it only covers the key area.

I have had problems with greasy fingers affecting the coating. I hope this will make a difference.

3. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

The only reason I asked is this:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203671

However, this looks like a generic warning as people tend to use all kinds of stuff on their keyboards, a lot of them silicone based.

Still, as I said, this one looks safe, but wanted to check. Thanks - I will give it a go. Let me know if it helps you with the grease on screen, I had those mysterious grease spots on the previous MBP too (this is the first time they are aligned with a key, though).

4. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I like the look of these and was curious as well. I have a screen wipe but its a small one for glasses and I always have to go to the bag for it so I'm more planning just to use this as a nice screen wipe I always have with me when I open up the computer weather I switch bags or use it at home without the bag. Also curious on if it would impact closing the laptop or maybe put more pressure on the screen, I really don't have any problems so don't want to go creating any. Looks like a really good idea though and I like that it just covers the keyboard area. I guess the good thing is even if I don't end up liking it as a keyboard cover it would still make a really nice screen wipe that I just keep in the bag. So either way it's not a bad deal to me. I'll probably give it a shot too.

5. JTMacster macrumors newbie

Ordered one for my 15 inch tMBP. Email order confirmation shows out of stock and replenishment expected 2/25. If I was cynical, would say that they are utilizing Apple's supply chain. Haven't seen imprint issues yet, but did experience them with the 12 inch Macbook.

6. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

I ordered this morning and my email came with "In Stock: Yes". I guess I got the last one :)
    Kinda funny they need so long to produce these.

7. Carilyn macrumors member

Carilyn

I have been using one since I first got my MBP. Works great, super thin too so I see no interference with it closing fully.

8. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Good to know, thanks.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I just use a plain piece of printer paper that I lay on the keyboard before closing the lid.
    A bit cheaper than the "special" stuff, and serves the same function.

10. Patrick-Photo macrumors regular

Always had one with my 2011 15". Worked great and kept the screen clean and crisp. No scratches what so ever (keep in mind to check for debris on the cloth though)! Ordered one a few days ago (black, 2016 15" tb) should be in stock 9th of january.

11. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Thanks! The 2011 had a wider gap between the keyboard and screen, though - but I guess this one is fine still. They reduced it's size (only covers the keyboard now) because of the closing issue, so I've heard. I'm waiting on mine to arrive, but it will be a week or two until it reaches Europe :D

Thanks everyone.