2016 MBP non-TB i5 vs MacBook Air 2013 i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by packeted, Dec 8, 2016.

1. packeted macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a MBP TouchBar 13", pretty much maxed out. It set me back $2500 and for a number of reasons I'm a little disappointed. The build is awesome, the reduced footprint is fantastic and the screen is a huge step up from my old MBA however the TouchBar really feels like a gimmick (and is quite glitchy) and the battery life feels like half of what I used to get on my MBA after a couple of weeks of use. What's more, this machine was significantly more expensive.

I've decided to return it and am considering just getting a 2016 MBP 13" non-touchbar as the battery life is supposed to be better and I wouldn't be paying hundreds extra for the touchbar, that I simply don't think is worth it (thus far anyway).

My main question is how does the performance of the base i5 model compare to that of a 2013 MBA i7 (both 8GB RAM). Has anyone seen any benchmarks comparing the two? How does it hold up when driving a 4k monitor at full res (something my MBA doesn't support).

Cheers,
    Francis

2. laidac macrumors newbie

I would love to know the answer to this as well – let me know if you find out any more.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

The loaded 13-inch MacBook Pro is about 10% faster than the non-touchbar MacBook Pro, which is about 10% faster than the 13-inch 2013 MacBook Air.

Single core performance
    MacBook Air 13-inch 2013: 3271
    MacBook Pro 13-inch non-touch bar: 3604
    MacBook Pro 13-inch loaded: 4001

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

that is pretty pathetic that intels CPU is only 10% faster than one from three years ago. I love my 2013 air I just wish they would make one with an IPS screen and larger colour gamut

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

still, that is enough reason to get an rMBP 16 for P3 IPS screen,

apple is aware,