Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

2016 MBP Repair

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
Hey guys, looking to pick some brains.. Last week I noticed my 2016 MBP would not charge. Sat on 1% and would die as soon as I unplugged the cable. Out of warranty, so I set up to have it repaired. Battery condition was showing normal, with 57 cycles on it.
(I don't use it much lol) Anyway, it was being serviced for a bad battery. I received it back today and these were the services done to it.
61471647263__6B3095B9-C5C0-4C9E-B14C-5A61ED1572C6.jpg

I was originally quoted $530 for the repair, but could change depending on what all they found out during repair. Put it on my Apple Card last week and it showed as a pending charge up until a couple days ago. It is now gone, with no records of it existing aside from my email that Apple had sent me. I'm not sure if it's just me, but my MacBook feels somewhat heavier, the keys feel more responsive unlike what the butterfly keys normally feel like. Also, my charger clicks right into each of the USB ports, where it didn't do that before.

I was thinking maybe they sent me a different machine, but my serial numbers match up. My biggest thing though is that the charge is completely gone from my Apple Card, and I have obviously already received my machine back. Anyone ever have a similar situation in regards to billing? Also, $530 seems awful cheap now given the repairs done. Thoughts on that? I have never had to have a MacBook repaired before, so I am not to familiar in terms of pricing out what their repairs normally cost.

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
They may have just decided to cover the repair. The I/O boards are where the USB-C ports are so that's why the cable clicks in better. If you were on the original keyboard, then you'd have gotten a slightly revised version from the 2017 MacBook Pro, which might account for some difference in key feel as well.
Given that they replaced the top case, logic board, and I/O boards, pretty much all that carried over is the display assembly and the bottom plate, so it's sort of like you got a new computer.

Reactions: Swisspo
Comment

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
They may have just decided to cover the repair. The I/O boards are where the USB-C ports are so that's why the cable clicks in better. If you were on the original keyboard, then you'd have gotten a slightly revised version from the 2017 MacBook Pro, which might account for some difference in key feel as well.
Given that they replaced the top case, logic board, and I/O boards, pretty much all that carried over is the display assembly and the bottom plate, so it's sort of like you got a new computer.

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I will just have to wait and see if anything pops up on my Apple Card in regards to being charged. It even says on my service paper that I will be receiving an invoice breaking down the parts charges I already paid. I really have no idea lol.. Out of curiosity though, for the services done, does $530 seem about right?

Comment

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sometimes, a pending charge will disappear just before the charge gets posted to your credit card. Those has happened to me when I placed online orders. Once the item ships, the pending charge disappears and the actual charge appears on my card. The time between disappearing and reappearing can be a few hours to a few days.

Comment

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
57 Charge Cycles on a 2016.

How did you store it ;-) At around 70'ish percent when not in use , aka, best practice for batteries to be SOC when not in use for extended period of times.

I've often wondered what's considered charge cycles. I have a MB that stays charged for the most part and for the few times it comes off the charger to get exercised or taken to travel, the charge cycles do seem to go up that what I'm thinking how a charge cycle is counted

Comment

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002

I've often wondered what's considered charge cycles. I have a MB that stays charged for the most part and for the few times it comes off the charger to get exercised or taken to travel, the charge cycles do seem to go up that what I'm thinking how a charge cycle is counted

I was just wondering about this last week... 1 cycle is cumulative 100%, e.g. 100->0 = 1 cycle; 100->50 twice = 1 cycle; 100->90 ten times = 1 cycle; 100->75 + 100->25 = 1 cycle etc. etc.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Comment

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
That was my interpretation of that in general, but when I look at my cycle count...I feel like it does necessarily correlate to that.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.