2016 MBP specs...which ones?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rayjay86, Nov 19, 2016.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue/question.

I entered the world of mac with my 2010 MBA. Love it to death. It's still working like the day I got it but now that I do photo editing (casual hobby) it's slowing down a lot with LR and PS. I've got a fair budget for a new computer, so price isn't the issue.

I like the MBP because with my actual job I need portability and am set on a 13" for the same reason. I will be buying an external 4K monitor in the future as well, also work related.

What MBP specs would people suggest where you can upgrade features like SSD, processor type etc. I'm not sure how much of a performance improvement I'll get with a i7 over either of the i5 in the 2013 MBP 13 with touch bar.

Same for SSD and RAM.

Using this for:
    - work, I'm an academic
    - travel (as above)
    - casual photography from a DSLR
    - movies
    - am slowly starting to dabble in video but likely won't do much more than short clips on my dslr which shoots 1080p

Thanks!

2. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I'm not completely sure if you are wanting a
    I'm not 100% sure exactly what you are asking for advice about, is it just what upgrades are worth the money?

The touchbar 13s have a higher TDP CPU, which means they are quite a bit more powerful despite both being labeled i5. But it's looking like battery life is less than stellar for that model. You'd probably be fine with the CPU in the non touch model. As far as RAM goes, buy 16GB if you can afford it. Many people(and likely you) can get by with 8 still, but with it being non upgradeable, you might as well. RAM speed isn't something that should concern you too much.

SSD speed is the same way to some extent. Are the SSDs in the 2016s crazy fast? Yes. So we're the ones in the 2015s. As far as size, that's on you. for me, 1TB is a waste of money.

4. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's kind of what I'm asking but I think you've answered it.

I just wasn't sure whether not getting the i7 would be that detrimental or if I should save on the processor and upgrade the RAM instead.

I agree, I'll likely either stick with 256 or go with 512gb and just get an external SSD if I need for more backups.