2016 MBP TB 13 user - should I return and go for the 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by packeted, Dec 1, 2016.

1. packeted macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I've been using my MBP 13 with Touch Bar for over almost a couple of weeks now. It's the 3.3GHz i7 version with 512GB storage and 16GB RAM - set me back $2575 all inc with the educational discount. I upgraded from a 2013 MBA i7 8GB 512GB.

So I like the machine, it's nicely made, feels very solid, I like the keyboard, love the retina screen and the speakers are great. The TouchBar is nice but haven't found any compelling uses for it. The Force Touch pad took a bit of getting used to but I quite like it now.

One of the biggest disappointments is battery. I'm not a heavy user but I have plenty of tabs and use Google Drive, Slack, Chrome... I've been getting about 4 hours out of it which is a huge step down. I'm also intending to get more in to video editing as I recently started a YouTube channel.

I have a Mac Pro desktop but am considering replacing that with a one machine setup. I have Dell P2715Q 4K monitors at work and home that I plug in to (currently using a DisplayPort to USB-C cable).

So.... tomorrow is the last day I can return the laptop and I'm thinking about switching out for a 15" MBP with TB, the lowest spec version but with 512GB storage, which is just a few dollars more than the 13 I bought if I get it from B&H Tax free.

Any views from people who have done the same or own both and can speak to the relative battery life and performance differences? I haven't come across any benchmarks that compare the specced out 13 TB vs the bottom end 15 TB but would love to if anyone has any sources!

Cheers,
    Francis

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The 15" is big. Not enormous, but bigger by a couple inches all around and weighs a pound more.
    That said, the display is beautiful and there's no doubt the machine is fast. Gets about 8 hrs of battery life - better than the 13" TB but less than the 13" nTB.
    My GeekBench 4 results are below (2.7GHz). MBA 15inch GB4.png

I had the 13" nTB for two weeks. Loved it, but ultimately decided I really wanted the 15" for the big display. While I have an 27" iMac, I find I use the laptop 90% of the time I'm on my Mac (though my main computing device is still my 12.9" iPad Pro). The 13" screen just wasn't comfortable enough for my 47 yr old eyes.

3. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

A bit confused, are you planning to replace your desktop with the macbook? The 15 is better in almost every aspect except portability, seems like a no brainer to me. You would be fine editing on both, but neither will come close to the airs battery life.

4. packeted thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I was planning to replace the Mac Pro with whichever MBP I ended up with. I guess it comes down to portability, it seems for the price I paid for the spec'ed out 13 the bottom end 15 is a lot more bang for buck.