2016 MBP Three finger drag to select text unresponsive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by medulla, Mar 25, 2017.

1. medulla macrumors regular

As the title says, I've noticed after upgrading to the 2016 TB MBP the three finger drag when enabled from accessibility isn't as responsive. While using it for selecting text in a website it'll recognize as two fingers and just go to the previous page. While attempting to take a screenshot it won't let me finish taking it since it just not as responsive.
    I've realized when using the right side of the trackpad it does tend to work better, selecting text from the right side to the left.
    I've heard other members points this out too, however does anyone have a solution, or am I one one of few affected?
    Thanks.

2. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I have the 2016 TB MBP, too, and my three-finger drag works just fine. I use it extensively so would've noticed it right away if there was an issue. Have you tried contacting support? Looks as though yours is a hardware problem.

3. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

A lot of members complaining about it, apparently your fingers need to be closer together for it to work, could you please try spacing them out slightly more and seeing if it still works perfectly?

4. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Using the index, middle and ring fingers of my left hand, I can get three-finger drag to work with up to 1 cm of space between the index and middle, and the middle fingers. It doesn't work when two of the three fingers are near the bottom of the very bottom of the touchpad.

5. alexballvideos macrumors newbie

alexballvideos

I've found this is be a pita also (only 1/3 of three finger drags working). Returned one machine because it was driving me insane, I discovered the 2016 machines at the Apple Store did the same, as did my buddy's 2016 machine. I ordered another machine after reading that a few people seem to think it will be fixed in 10.12.4, or has been fixed in the beta. but that's still not out yet, meanwhile I've discovered a way to make it work 100% every time with 10.12.3, I believe the trackpad is now divided into two halves in the software implementation, so three finger drag for me at least, now only works 100% of the time when the right hand uses the right half and the left hand uses the left halves of their respective sides of the trackpad. You can try this for yourself, with your three fingers angled naturally at 30d to 45d angles, try on the opposite sides of the trackpad, no good. But the left hand with natural finger angle on the left side is perfect, even with 2cm gaps between each finger, same deal with right hand on right side. If you align your fingers horizontally in-line, it 'can' work everywhere but its not comfortable to hold your hand like this ( at least I found not). With the natural angle of your fingers on the opposite side of the trackpad it will register as two finger swipe.

This is just m,y personal observation, there is lots of opinions out there though. Some say it was fixed in 10.12.2/3 I think perhaps they changed how they hold their fingers to be more horizontally aligned with using the 2016 machine. Perhaps 10.12.4 will allow using the opposite half with angled fingers again. Lemme know if what works for me works for you.

6. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

So you wouldn't recommend making a genius appointment and take it there for them to take a look at?
    Also, so you're saying when dragging from the right side you use your right hand and from dragging from the left you've been using your left?

Also this is from a different thread:

I have posted this reply elsewhere but I want to make sure potential buyers are aware.

Having come from a MacBook Air where 3-finger drag/select was far and away my most common gesture I have been very frustrated that the operation on the the MBP was inconsistent. So this morning (December 19) I spent an hour with Apple Support. The answer: "The 3-finger drag feature was only intended for and designed for moving windows around. It as never intended for doing something like select text." This was according to what seemed like level 3 support - the people who back up the people who answer the phone. The support person (someone named Mike) pointed me to the following article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204609

Bottom line - According to Mike at Apple Support, the capability so many of us enjoyed on our MacBook Airs for the past few years was not supposed to work that way. So, if you are on the latest firmware and sofware (which I am: Sierra 10.12.2 and firmware 1039) and have all the correct options set such as Tap To Click, etc. (which I do according to the Apple support people) and it still doesn't work consistently. This functionality was available on my prior system (MacBook Air) but the apparent excuse Apple is making is that it wasn't documented to work the way so many of us were using it. Therefore, no obligation to fix it and I am screwed. There is no fix coming. There is no answer. (Even though it was an Apple store employee who showed me how it worked to select text, draw objects, etc. on my MacBook Air.)

I want to be sure that people know what they are getting if they buy one of these MacBook Pros. Had I known, I would not have purchased it. And since Apple strung me along with non-solutions to the problem I am past the 14-day window and unable to return this MacBook Pro to get my money back so I can revert to my older MacBook Air which worked the way I liked.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/18/macbook-pro-three-finger-drag-trackpad-issues/

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Testing it myself just now, it seems to work fine for selecting text on this page, even using my right hand on the left side. I have my three fingers together at a 45-degree angle. Maybe if you experiment more you'll find how it can work for you. Hope so.

8. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried, and the trick is just having them close together, however as a habit of not having to worry for several years since like 2008 - Don't know if three finger drag existed then, and if not 2012, it gets difficult to adapt when its like a reflex.

9. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

I think it's the palm rejection on the new larger trackpads messing it up. I was quite bugged by how unreliable/unresponsive the 3-finger gestures were on the new Macbook Pros. 3 months later, still no update from Apple, meh. I have a 2015 MB as well, no issues on that.

10. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

So you haven't done anything about it like take it to the Genius Bar and so on?

11. alexballvideos macrumors newbie

alexballvideos

10.12.4 Can comfirm, three finger drag works on the entire trackpad surface as per previous apple trackpads. Even works on opposite side of hand with fingers 2cm apart! Yewwww :) machine is now a pleasure to use.

12. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

Are you serious? I looked at the update log and didn't see anything concerning the trackpad, however I have installed it and will comment further, maybe 10.12.5 they'll make it 3CM apart

13. alexballvideos macrumors newbie

alexballvideos

It's not often they admit fixes unless they had widespread coverage and impact on people. I've purposefully been using the left hand side of my trackpad only with my right hand and fingers spread apart, not one fail yet. Just like the good ole days.

14. medulla thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously I've been trying it excessively right now and its working FLAWLESSLY.
    I'm so glad its back to normal. I can't believe how dependent we were on that one small tiny feature.