2016 MBP trackpad flaw: 3 finger drag bugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hyloba, Nov 2, 2016.

1. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

If this is buggy on mine when I get it it will go back ASAP. I use it a lot, including all my LR sliders so it is essential for me. If it is buggy I'll be calling Apple and asking for a solution or else I'd have to return it as I need that feature more than other gesture.

2. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

The three finger swipe works fine, this is just the drag function I believe, which is used to re-size applications. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

I use it all the time, was surprised it wasn't on by default to be honest.

4. frank33v macrumors member

5. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Got mine today. It seems like it doesn't respond if I start near the middle of the trackpad. But more to the right side works fine. After you get it working using the right side, the middle starts to work. I'm going to play with it some more and see if I can determine a definite pattern as it may be how I'm holding my 3rd finger when defaulting to the middle. But there is an issue if you do it the "wrong" way as Tim C will surely let us know soon enough...LOL

6. fokmik macrumors 68040

The walk around three fingers window drag: Place 3 fingers on your window, try to drag it even if its for just 1mm, then lift up 2 of your fingers and use the last 1 to drag your window.

7. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally received my MBP and as I thought, 3 finger drag is bugged. It is too inconsistent to be used. I'm sure this has something to do with palm rejection and I hope Apple is preparing a fix. My Magic Trackpad is working fine.

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

3 Finger is excellent, because you can pretty much get away with never physically clicking the trackpad 99% of the time.

Works great on my 2013 rMBP and Magic Trackpad for my iMac.

9. pvanberlo macrumors member

I've seen reports that the issue is resolved in the latest Sierra beta. Can't verify myself though.

10. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

Could you by any chance share those reports? I may opt in for betatesting then.

11. SRTM macrumors regular

I've had no problems with 3 finger drag. works perfectly.

12. Egally08 macrumors newbie

Which is only one of 100 or more useful applications for three finger drag. Highlighting text, moving desktop / folder icons, moving windows, adjusting sliders, etc. Anything you would need to hold a click down for, can be used with three finger drag.

My 15" max 2016 will be here from China on Tuesday. If it's as bad as people say, I'm afraid I'm might return it. I use the feature probably 50 times a day. I'm always highlighting parts of urls or pieces of code. I need to be able to do it quickly, and with precision. Something you cannot get when you have to click, hold down and drag.

13. Peptide macrumors member

It works fairly well for my 13" nTB. Sometimes the 2 finger click registers instead, but it works once I switch hands. I also find it to be more prone to error if there is alot of friction between my fingers and the trackpad.

14. Hyloba, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

There is a dead zone in the center of the trackpad.

Start dragging from the center of the trackpad and it won't register 3 fingers. Start dragging from the corners and everything works fine, you can even drag through the center of the trackpad once you initiated the drag from the corners.

I have tested this with laptops from stores and from other who have bought it, and they all have the same problem.

15. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

I wasn't trying to belittle the function in any way - the user seemed to have mixed up what function we were discussing and wanted to let them know that it wasn't the 3 finger swipe which is used to switch between apps. I agree, I think it is a very useful feature.

16. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much !

17. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

Hmm, I'm able to do it from the center of the trackpad sometimes.

18. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright I have further studied the problem.

Three finger drag works ALL THE TIME when you hold your fingers horizontal.

I never hold them horizontal though on the trackpad, but I guess that is why some people report that everything is working for them. When you hold your fingers vertically (like I always do on my laptop trackpad), you will notice a dead zone in the center of the trackpad.

19. Sohappy macrumors member

Sohappy

It works absolutely fine for me. I love this trackpad.

20. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you holding your fingers horizontally or vertically?

21. Sohappy macrumors member

Sohappy

Just like when I play piano. A nice curve

22. Egally08 macrumors newbie

I figured you weren't, sorry if I made it sound like that's what you were suggesting.

Happy to hear that OP, hope that's universal.

23. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

He's not talking about Spaces. That works fine.

I think Apple is burying three finger drag because it's better to promote those three digits for navigating Spaces.

24. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

That's horizontal then, so it works perfectly. Please try to drag something with your fingers vertically.

25. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a further investigated the problem and it seems there is a dead zone for all multi-finger gestures (2, 3, and 4), but only when you initiate the gesture with your fingers placed vertical, which I often seem to do.

The trackpad works perfectly fine when you initiate the gesture holding your fingers parallel to the space bar.