2016 MBP.. worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyyitssusan, Dec 10, 2016.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Hey guys. I'm thinking about upgrading my 2012 13" MBP to the 13" MBP with touch bar. Those of you who've used it, what do you think? Is it worth the money? I do quite a bit of multitasking and video editing every once in awhile. I don't do it often enough to get the 15".

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Consider the non TB model , I think it's a better machine , the TB is a personal preference , I personally don't like the replacement of the very useful function keys.

3. BasicGreatGuy, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have the 13" tMBP. I got it mainly for the extra ports and the Touch ID (compared to the nMBP). The touch bar has been useful, albeit I don't use it all the time. Once it is more readily integrated into software apps, it will be of more use, not to mention a bigger selling point. Coming from a late 2011 MBP, I am happy with my purchase.

4. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

How long did it take you to get used to it?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---
    That is true, and some places are offering it for $100 off too. I am still going back and forth between the two.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am still getting used to the keyboard, as my finger memory still wants to type like I am using a chicklet board. As to the touch bar, that has been easier to pick up. I have had my Mac for 20 days.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

If you can live with two instead of four Thunderbolt 3 ports and a slower CPU/GPU combination then the non-Touch Bar model is fine. However, I think that the 4 TB3 ports and the Touch Bar are what make the new MBP. If you consider one and you are going to use it for many years then having 4 ports could very well be a better idea than 2.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd go for a 2015, whether new or refurbished. The 2016 models just don't offer the value their price tG demands. I have a base 15" and will not be keeping it unless something dramatic happens over the next couple of weeks.

8. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point. I have had my 2012 for around 5 years already. Want to do the same with this one.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

I'm coming from a 2012 MBA. It only has 1 TB port and 2 USB-A ports. With the new MBP (13" with Touch Bar) I now have 4 TB/USB ports that I can use for whatever I want/need. The fact that I now have 4 ports that can do USB instead of 2 is what makes the biggest difference for me on the road. No more lugging around big USB hub (cables and the occasional adapter takes up less space).

10. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice. I hate how clunky and big mine is too. I carried it in a backpack and every time I had to go through TSA and put my laptop in the bin it felt like it weighed a ton.

11. echoout macrumors 6502a

I'm coming from a 2012 15" MBP to a new 15". I tested them extensively and the new one is marginally faster for some of my tasks and much slower for others. In 9 days mine has been extremely unstable, short battery life, and I'm just not liking the Touch Bar, trackpad, or keyboard.

I wish I could just buy another 2012 like I have, but nice and new. I get about 45 minutes out of the replaced battery and it's got some issues from extremely heavy use over 4.5 years. And it's significantly faster for my 3D work. UGH.