2016 Mini landing date

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dogslobber, Jul 24, 2016.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Will be here on the 20th October. Stay tuned.

2. martin2345uk macrumors regular

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

The magic 8-ball.

4. grcar, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

grcar Suspended

grcar

Will be called Apple TV 3.0. Specs: 0 GB storage (everything streams to / from icloud for a small monthly fee), 4 GB memory (compression works, right?), 1 hdmi port (who needs anything else?), siri enables you to yell at your TV (everyone does that already anyway) and now it will answer you back, state-of-the-art software MacWrite MacPaint (going backwards worked for iphoto).

5. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Please, more like 512 MB of memory.:D

6. Tiberius2000 macrumors member

Tiberius2000

No, it will
    Be the 4th, 11th, 18th, or 25th, those are the Tuesday's in October.

7. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Where did the October certainty come from?

8. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Deduction.

July - no that's today
    August - No
    Sept - iPhone event
    Oct - Historical
    Nov - Holidays
    Dec - Holidays

That leaves Oct. Oct event is usually a month after Sept event to allow the WOW! factor to fade. Can't be too close to Halloween so that means before the last week. You're down to the 18th or 20th October. I go with 20th October.

9. grcar Suspended

grcar

The last two minis were released in October two and four years ago.

And the UK Macworld website has an article this month that says October.

10. Kaida macrumors regular

Kaida

All the Apple machines are in the red. I seriously doubt they will do the Mac mini first...

11. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Hopefully they'll do an 'across the board' Mac event.

The situation warrants it, and it's a rare opportunity to refresh nearly the entire line at once.

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Apple really doesn't work that way; I can't remember the last time they've done something like that. They've always tried to roll out the big seller first (usually the iMac or one of the higher-end laptops), then move progressively through their lineup (with weeks or even months between rollouts), showcasing each entry in turn. In this way, the Mini is almost always the last in line, given Apple's view of its place in the hierarchy.

Presumably, this is done to maximize the number of high-end customers, people who don't want to wait for the lower-cost Apple products to receive updates.

Another item to consider: if Apple really was planning to do an across-the-board upgrade, I'm fairly certain there would already be ripples forming across the entire supply chain, or other rumors leaking out about the many different product changes this would entail. But there's practically nothing...

13. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Apart from the MacBook Air rumour, repeated today. And the Mac Pro rumour from the end of last year (new model identifier in code). And the various MacBook pro rumours. o_O

14. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

True, there are some minuscule rumors popping up from time to time; nothing "across the board", but interesting nonetheless. Sadly, they just haven't been materializing into, well, anything. Other than the Macbook, of course (which I've gotta say feels kinda bizarre; why update that one device?).

In any case, I'm just saying that if Apple ever does plan on a seriously disruptive across-the-board update, a commensurate quantity of rumors should start appearing...

15. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Nobody on the planet thinks about the Mini except us on here and that broom closet in Cupertino where that one engineer works on updating the Mini during her lunch break. Suffice it to say that the lack of Mini rumors is usually due to everybody forgetting about it until somebody flashes a slide at the October events.

16. Miat macrumors 6502

I have been wondering if Apple are saving it all up for a major simultaneous refresh of the whole Mac range, with a big jump in chip specs at least, and maybe some form updates too.

Yes, it is unprecedented for Apple to do this. But so what. There is no hard rule that stops them doing it, and it would be a good way to make the final break from the Jobs era Apple, and catch the attention of the market.

I take the point that there have been no serious rumours to this effect, but that is not proof it is not happening.

17. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

18. Easttime macrumors 6502

They sold 4.2 million Macs last quarter. That's a lot of money in the bank. And all those Mac owners are probably syncing with iPhones and iPads, and buying Apple services. Force multiplier.

19. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

What about Mac owners who have neither iPhones nor iPads?

20. Easttime macrumors 6502

True, I should have written "many" not "all". The other point about Macs is that they are worth maybe 1.5 to 2 iPhones in gross price. All in all, I can't see Apple losing interest in Macs. But what do I know.

21. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

Why release a new mini when you can make new watch bands? There is already a 400 pages thread with speculations! :)
    The mini is so insignifiant in their line up that they probably won't announce it during an event. They can only upgrade the cpu (DGPU won't happen).

22. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You have to remember that people keep their Macs much longer than they do iPhones and iPads.

23. Easttime macrumors 6502

And the ports, and SSD. Hoping it happens.

24. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Just because Apple doesn't usually work that way certainly does not mean they definitely won't do something like that at some stage.

Think about it: there have been a number of occasions when Apple have surprised 'out of the blue' (most recent example that comes to mind is the release of the saucer-shaped Apple Watch charger), either with an off-pattern release, a policy change or a rethink on how they do things.

Also, all the patterns we base predictions on at some point had a first instance. Perhaps a 'multiple Mac' update could set a new pattern, with all/most Macs being refreshed at the same time for the next year - in a similar vein to iPhone releases. This would tie in to the presumed-eventual shift to Apple-designed CPUs for the Mac line.

25. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The last time I remember them doing something like that was in 2000, when they refreshed the entire desktop line: new iMacs, PowerMac G4s, G4 Cube, and new peripherals, including new displays.

I could see them having a similar event, perhaps with a new "Pro" Magic keyboard with the rMBP's Touchbar, which would provide focus for the event: Touchbar functionality on all Macs.