2016 nTB (battery concern) vs. 2015 Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpaceInvader, Feb 11, 2017.

1. SpaceInvader macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy my first Mac, and while I'm pretty settled on the 2016 nTB, the reviews about battery life online have been all over the place. What is your guys' experience with the battery life on it? I'm not expecting 10+ hours necessarily but if it's around 4-5 hours, that will be a problem (has to mostly get me through a day at university). If it's a problem I'd buy a 2015 Pro 13" with 256 SSD. What do you guys think and what are your experiences with battery life?

2. KayM8 macrumors newbie

the 2015 might get better battery life but the nTB has pretty good battery life. If your uni use is something like web browsing, MS Office, and PDFs, you should get about 8+hrs (thats what I've been seeing from that kind of use). I had 5hrs estimated remaining from 80% battery while running Windows 10 on Parallels, so assuming your use is less straining, you should get over 4-5hrs

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

What review has shown bad battery life for the nTB? The reviews I've seen show excellent battery life for it, and that's what people here usually report. (The reviews for the 13" TB version, on the other hand, have been up and down, and there have been a lot of complaints here about that one.)

4. TrueBlou, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I must concur with @Sanpete and the reviews I've seen for the 15" tbMBP and the ntbMbP consistently report good battery life. My own, though I've only had it two days so far has been excellent on battery power.

There's a general rule of thumb when it comes to buying anything. Don't ever base your decisions on comments from a forum.

There's always, always going to be a percentage of devices that have problems. It's impossible to manufacture any product with a 0% failure rate. When you're manufacturing devices counting in the millions even a 1% failure rate means that there are tens of thousands of people who have a faulty device.

Those unfortunate people who get theses faulty devices are significantly more vocal than the other millions of people who are happy with the product.

It's human nature, we like a good moan from time to time and to vent our anger ;)
    So you will always, without fail, see a disproportionate amount of people complaining. Don't be put off by it, if there was an actual problem with all of the devices then there would be no other action but a complete product recall in order to keep customers happy and protect the brand name.

As that hasn't happened, you can be fairly confident that the complaints are just the usual, poor unfortunate people who have been unlucky enough to receive faulty devices. And you'll find a lot of them here :D

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I'd say buy one and test it in the 2 week return window.

From my experience , depends on the tasks and settings. Turn up the brightness to 80% +'on that lovely 2016 and watch the battery go down. I had the 2016 and 2015 side by side, with the right settings the 2016 gets good battery. When pushed with heavy task, the 2015 has about 30% battery life advantage, which equates to about by how much the battery got smaller.

Just try one. Cause asking peoples opinions here.....does not relate to your usage patterns.

Myself I don't believe people who are complaining have faulty devices, thier usage differs. Take a laptop from someone that says they have excellent battery life to someone who says they have bad battery life, and I bet it will have bad battery life for that individual

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

So very true, everyone pushes their system in different ways. Battery life is far too subjective for anyones answers to apply directly to you. As the man says, try one out, it's the only way you'll ever know for sure.