2016 NTB MacBook Pro lightroom lag (video)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carperjosh, Dec 4, 2016.

1. carperjosh macrumors member

hi guys,

I have the base model non touch bar 2016 MacBook Pro. I have uploaded a video showing me using Lightroom for my photo editing and the lag that the machine suffers when scrolling through pictures. Do you think that more 16gb RAM and a i7 would conquer this issue?

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

Lightroom chugs, especially with larger RAW files, on even my Late 2013 quad-core 15" with dGPU. I haven't used it yet on the 2016 15" but it's definitely a power hungry app when you're shuffling through lots of big images.

My experience has never been as slow as what your video shows, so I'd imagine it's being limited by the i5, iGPU and 8GB of RAM.

3. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Maybe if it were a little more thin... that would do the trick

This is very disheartening as I had been looking to buy this for Lightroom... waiting for all these kinds of reports to decide to get it or alternative like a gaming rig from Asus or someone like that

4. carperjosh thread starter macrumors member

i wonder if 16gbs of ram would help although when viewing activity monitor while it's lagging the ram is around 6gb and the cpu is under heavy load so my guess is it's the cpu. i'm not willing to go 15inch as i want it portable so maybe ill just have to put up with it

5. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

16GB should help, I think 8GB is not enough. Which CPU do you have?

6. chabig macrumors 68040

I don't think RAM will help. The machine is loading the data from SSD. That's likely the bottleneck. Maybe the CPU. Probably not the RAM.

7. brvhrt macrumors member

Do you have 1:1 previews generated? Also, I've read that disabling the GPU acceleration in preferences can have a positive effect. I don't currently run it but with those two options addressed LR seemed to run faster on my 2015 MacBook than it does on your Pro (with Leica X Typ 113 raw files).

It isn't the most optimized software and not perfect on Mac at it's best anyway so bear that in mind.

8. dark_mark Suspended

Lightroom doesn't use GPU acceleration when scrolling, which is the reason why it stutters. I am getting the same stuttering on the maxed out 2016 Macbook Pro 15". Even 64GB of ram will not help in this case.

Adobe needs to take advantage of the GPU in order to provide smooth scrolling. There's a rumor that Lightroom will have GPU accelerated scrolling in the next version, but it's not been confirmed.

9. carperjosh thread starter macrumors member

I have a quad core i5 and 8gb ram on my desktop computer and it runs Lightroom smooth as butter I wonder if its just the fact its macOS

10. dark_mark Suspended

No it's the fact that macs have Retina screen. The issue gets worse with higher resolution screens.
    What's the resolution on your desktop?

11. carperjosh thread starter macrumors member

computer is 1680x1050 but when I scale my MacBook to this screen resolution the same thing happens

12. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

You have the limits of the computer, CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD, then you have software layer, and LightRoom has gotten slower and worse over the years, maybe bloated....

Why don't you try something like..

Darktable
    http://www.darktable.org

Test the same workflow, then you will know a little better what level its at.

13. dark_mark Suspended

It doesn't matter if you scale or not. Your mac has to push 4 times as many pixels, that's why it stutters.

It will stutter until Adobe decides to use GPU acceleration in lightroom.

14. carperjosh thread starter macrumors member

really I never knew this so its the same on all MacBooks?