2016 ntMBP Display Glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueJet, Mar 29, 2017.

1. BlueJet macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recieved my 2016 ntMBP about a week ago and a few time when I tired to wake the computer everything on my screen was messed up. The only way to fix it was just restarting the computer. This happened both on the internal and external monitor that I'm using. I am wondering if someone else had a similar issue. Is that a hardware or a software issue?

I know that some other people were experiencing graphic issues before and Apple released an update to fix those. I have the latest version of OS so I'm not sure whether I should return my mac for a new one.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Cool! I mean, I'm sorry you're having that issue. The easiest thing if you're near an Apple Store is to take it in for them to diagnose, with the video. If that's not convenient, you can run the diagnostic:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Seems likely to be hardware, but are you using any unusual software that might affect graphics?

3. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

This could also just be a macOS bug. I've been getting graphic glitches occasionally for the last 2 years at least on different machines, including a Mac Pro. The 12" rMB glitches for a second or two sometimes when I wake it (latest OS), especially if there was a video running when it went to sleep. I have noticed fewer issues on the 2016 15" MBP. It still happens sometimes when f.lux is running. No issues whatsoever when running Windows via Bootcamp though.

But, as advised check if your hardware is functioning correctly as well.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I do not personally have that issue.

Any luck with...
    • Resetting the PRAM/SMC
    • Disabling all software that loads at startup and seeing if the issue still presents even without using any 3rd party Apps
    • Performing a safe boot
    • Display calibration (this one is probably a very long shot)
    • Reinstalling OS X?

5. BlueJet thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to Apple Store and they ran a few tests, but it looks like everything is functioning fine. I decided to wait a few days and see if that happens again. If that keeps happening again, I guess I will exchange the MacBook for a new one.

6. BlinkerFluider macrumors newbie

BlinkerFluider

Glad your able reach to a Apple Store, is that a 13 or 15?
    if that is a 15, there is a chance to be having problem with the AMD dGPU, after the 2011 mbp AMD crisis, or you name it, I have no intention on trusting on the dGPU chips Apple is using, so better run some software to put the GPU underlay for a while (better around 30min or so), and see if any issue comes up with it, it can be easily done by just download valley benchmark or other games and brutally max out the configuration, regardless if thats running like 5fps.