2016 tbMBP 13" vs 2015 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JerTheGeek, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Another MacBook Pro decision making thread...
    Anyway, I was planning on upgrading in a few months to a 2016 model from my 13" 2015 cause I like the new design and features, but I realized for actually cheaper than the 13" 2016 at $1999, I could get a refurbished 15" with better specs for $1869! This seems like an excellent deal to me. I thought I had decided on the 13" tbMBP but this seems like it may be a lot better, considering the extra speed and screen real estate. Plus I would have all the ports I need, and maybe the better keyboard and trackpad, I've heard negative things about both of those, with bad palm rejection and poor travel on the newer model.
    My usage is as follows:

Web browsing, email, basic web use
    Storage of pictures and files
    Online college classes, coursework
    Lighting programming a couple days a week
    Video editing for YouTube in iMovie a couple times a month

Would the 15" 2015 be a better deal? Should I perhaps wait longer to afford the 15" 2016? Or would the 13" 2016 just be best? Appreciate any advice, thanks.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Decisions decisions.

You don't seem to need the extra computing power, and don't seem to want the extra size of the 15". I personally want the biggest screen I can reasonably get, but I have the space for it.

Have you looked at refurbed 13" models?

Most owners like the new keyboard and track pad, by the way, so if you think they'll be an issue try them yourself. I think they're great.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Ha yes, decisions is right, I always do this when it comes to tech stuff lol.
    There are no refurbished out yet on the 2016 13". And yeah I suppose the trackpad and keyboard are fine. Just the question of whether the 2015 15" specs would be better for me. Doesn't seem like it is though.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Ha, I was actually thinking of a refurbed 2015 13", but I forgot that's what you already have. I really don't see much practical reason for you to upgrade. If you really have the itch, go for the latest thing, then, a 2016 15" with the nicer screen and speakers and all. But maybe keep thinking about it for a while. Maybe until the next model comes out!

5. Chancha macrumors 6502

Wait for the eventual Rev. A / Late 2017 Kaby Lake tbMBP 13", it may even have the terraced battery that Apple forgot to put in. By then your 2015 13" will probably be old enough but for now it is still more than sufficient.

Another thing is, users of 13" form factor will find themselves caught when "upgrading" to the 15" and lose the portability. The extra power is nice to have but the extra ounce and dimensions really hit you in daily use. You would want a direct replacement then only go for a 13".

But again, that specific refurb 2015 15" with 512GB SSD and dGPU is a very sweet deal, I almost got that myself but ended up with the 1TB because my local Apple store didn't have the 512GB in stock. I myself have a 2011 13" unibody MBP, it weighs the same as the 15" at 2.04kg but half of my bags just refuse to let the 15" in. Something to think about.

6. tCC_ macrumors member

Man, buy them both, test em out for 2 weeks and return one, make up your mind.

7. Aomin3 macrumors member

Aomin3

OP, don't buy the 15" 2015, not because it isn't a great machine, but I'm sure it won't stastifie you, just like the one you have now. You will still be thinking about the new models. It's not about what you need, it's about what you want. The 15" 2015 might look like the better bang for the buck, but let's be honest, it won't fill that hole in your heart.

P.s. I'm not judging, in fact, I have the same 13" 2015 and think about upgrading.

8. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I totally get what you mean, and it's true for sure. I really like the design and features of the new ones so that's what I'm gonna go with. I'm not ruling out the 2016 15", still deciding if I'd enjoy the screen size, but as of now I'm planning on the 13" I think.