2017 13" nTB faster than 2017 13" TB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by croco_dile, Jun 15, 2017.

1. croco_dile macrumors regular

Is the processor in the 2017 13" nTB faster than the processor in the 13" TB?

Intel Core i5-7360U @ 2.3 GHz (2 cores) has a score of 4309 (single core) and 9158 (multi-core)

whereas

Intel Core i5-7267U @ 3.1 GHz (2 cores) has a score of 4200 and 8930.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

2. Nave29 macrumors member

These scores will always vary a bit and when they are that close, I don't think it's something noteworthy. Maybe I'm wrong and someone who's more knowledgeable can weigh in on this

3. trueredsoxfan58 macrumors member

The reason is they are the same is that on a hardware level, both processors are exactly the same, However the i5-6360u has a TDP of 15w, and can only be in Turbo-Boost for a limited amount of time, and will clock down when it gets too hot. The 28w i5-6267u has a much higher base clock, and with 2 fans cooling it can stay in turbo boost a lot longer. Without turbo-boost the i5-6267u would spank the i5-6360u and it does as it will always be at a higher clock speed over time.

The i5-6360u has a higher turbo-boost clock, and will beat the 6267u as long as it can stay cool enough. However as soon as the heat is too much it will clock down below the 6267u as the cooling isnt enough.

This is why synthetic benchmarks are not accurate portrayers of performance.

A good way of seeing how the processors clock down is to (in Windows as I cant find a way to see live clockspeed in MacOS), is to run Prime95 and see how long the processor can stay at its full boost clock speed.

4. Azl macrumors member

Intel Power Gadget shows live clock speed in MacOS.

5. dof250 macrumors regular

The intel power gadget is not working on the new 7th generation CPU's...

6. Azl, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

Azl macrumors member

7. rumz macrumors 6502

Is this the same story for the i7 upgrade that you can get on the nTB version? low power rating, similar "turbo" performance but overall lower performance based on the "normal" clock speed?

Also, this should mean the non-touch bar MacBook Pro gets better battery life though, correct?

8. dof250 macrumors regular

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, nTB should get better battery life for 2 reasons: lower power consumption, and the battery is ~10% larger in the nTB. But if you're running something at full throttle over time like a graphically intense game or rendering stuff, you'll get bad battery life on either, it won't matter much. Under low loads like Safari or Google Docs/Sheets, or watching video, the nTB should last a bit longer (this was the case with last year's models and there's no reason to think it should be different with the current ones).