2017-15" i7 vs i7 : |

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Porkchop Sandwich, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors member

Can somebody please confirm that the top spec 15” MBP processors (both standard i7 at 2.9 and the upgrade i7 at 3.1) are the same family/generation of processors (Kaby Lake)?

If so, what scenario would compel an individual to pay for the upgraded 3.1? Am I missing something?

2. Merackon macrumors member

They are both part of the Kaby Lake line. The 2.9GHz spec is using the i7-7820HQ, whilst the 3.1GHz spec uses the i7-7920HQ.

The difference in performance comes purely from the higher base clock on the 3.1GHz variant, and it boosts to higher turbo frequencies. Real world differences will not be overly significant - a couple of seconds here and there for exports and processing times - and benchmarks will show a difference of a few hundred points at most. Games will benefit slightly from the higher base clock, but the thermal throttling means that it won't likely count for much in the grand scheme of things.

3. leman macrumors 604

Yes, they are both Kaby Lake (7820HQ and 7920HQ). You would pay for the upgraded CPU if you need a faster processor. Makes sense if you are working with numerically-intensive workflows and want to save some time.

4. Porkchop Sandwich thread starter macrumors member

Been on the fence and trying to decide between an new iMac and the 15" MBP.

Fairly certain the MBP makes the most sense and the off the shelf offering at 2799 appears it will work just fine for me - thank you for the responses to my question : )