Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
hello,

I just woke up my MacBook Pro. When I opened the lid it just went into internet recovery mode. Once that started it showed I didn't have a hard drive. I shut down and powered back on and pressed command & D and i was able to get back to my log in screen. I noticed that I had only 37% left on my battery, when I had 97% at the time I shut it down, four hours ago. I didn't have anything else plugged during this time. I looked in activity monitor and saw at least ten mdworkers running. that's a spotlight behavior, correct? Has anyone else seen this issue? If so, what's causing it? I just picked this MacBook Pro up from the refurb store, so i can still return, but would prefer not to go that route.

Thanks

update: i have reset SMC and NVRAM. I have noticed that when I restart now that there is a grid that flashes on the screen for less than a second. it just covers my wallpaper. no graphic scramble or such.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
hello,

I just woke up my MacBook Pro. When I opened the lid it just went into internet recovery mode. Once that started it showed I didn't have a hard drive. I shut down and powered back on and pressed command & D and i was able to get back to my log in screen. I noticed that I had only 37% left on my battery, when I had 97% at the time I shut it down, four hours ago. I didn't have anything else plugged during this time. I looked in activity monitor and saw at least ten mdworkers running. that's a spotlight behavior, correct? Has anyone else seen this issue? If so, what's causing it? I just picked this MacBook Pro up from the refurb store, so i can still return, but would prefer not to go that route.

Thanks

update: i have reset SMC and NVRAM. I have noticed that when I restart now that there is a grid that flashes on the screen for less than a second. it just covers my wallpaper. no graphic scramble or such.

Could be the automatic security patch they released installing.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
just opened it for the first time this morning and it had shut itself off during the night. Battery is still at 100% from yesterday evening's charge. never had anything like this happen, at least from what i can recall

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
actually, yes

Yep the patch to fix the security bug has caused this on every machine i’ve seen do it so far, it’s almost like windows behaviour very disconcerting, and it’s disabled if you then upgrade your OS, I do hope this doesn’t become the norm for Apple I must say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.