[2017 15" MBP] Left arrow key not working properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by srikat, Jul 9, 2017.

1. srikat macrumors member

I have been using my new MBP for about 2 weeks now. Today all of a sudden the left arrow key has become very hard. Applying the same amount of force as I do on any other key on the left arrow does not press it. I have to really bang it hard to get that key press registered.

Phoned Apple and have got an appointment booked for tomorrow at an authorised Apple service provider.

Did anyone face similar problem with their 2017 machine?

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

I have read of people getting dirt or food particles stuck under keys. Sometimes they are able to fix them by dislodging the particles with a puff of compressed air.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Always worth a shot before hauling it down to Apple.

4. glhughes macrumors regular

Keys have jammed three times on my 2016. Once with the 's' key and twice with the spacebar. At least the first two times were not caused by foreign debris. Simply removing and reinstalling the 's' key fixed that one but I wasn't going to futz with the spacebar. Took it to the Genius bar and it resulted in a new top case (only way to get a new keyboard) as some part of the internal mechanism had broken and jammed the key. The third time was the spacebar again -- this time on the new keyboard -- but it went back to normal after a few days (while I was waiting for my 4th genius bar appointment).

The 2016/2017 keyboards are extremely fragile and either poorly engineered or manufactured. I bought AC for the first time in over a decade of using Apple products because I'm worried the KB will just pack it in at some point in the next few years.

5. srikat thread starter macrumors member

Took it to the service provider and was told that they would send it to Apple to get it repaired. Apparently, the whole keyboard is going to be replaced. I asked him if he can simply open the key and see if anything's stuck underneath and was told that's not likely to happen.

Thankfully I still have my mid-2014 rMBP that I can use while I wait for 5 business days.