2017 27" base model noisy fan?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tjmckay4, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Tjmckay4 macrumors member

I've got a base model 27" 2017 iMac - 3.4, 570, 512gb SSD; delivered on the 8/8. When everything in the house is quiet, ie. kids have gone to bed, I can hear the fan quite clearly. Nothing is running and it's at idle, 1200 rpm.

Is this normal fan noise?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6r6kbm79428s9b/2017-08-13 22.38.59.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2dqhgx0smjconl/2017-08-13 23.29.30.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rdb26p45yl9m3m/2017-08-13 23.30.14.mp4?dl=0

Thanking in advance for those who listen and comment.

2. Simon R. macrumors 6502

I got the same model - mine is very close to completely silent. Nothing that I take notice of - am very happy. But I guess there will be differences from machine to machine. Also, no screen tint that I can tell.

3. mcomp112 macrumors regular

All iMacs have audible fan noise at idle (1200 RPM). Some people just aren't as sensitive to it as others.

4. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

5. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate that. But a lot of these threads are either for the i5 or i7, 580 pro (top) model. Mine is the base model with a 512gb...

Going on what other people say, I shouldn't be able to hear anything on this model at 1200rpm. It's quite annoying (first world problem I know).... I'm sure my 2011 27" 3.1 wasn't this loud... I haven't sold it yet so I might take it out of the box again to compare.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Let's just speak for ourselves and our own experiences, shall we? ;)

I am a musician. I have exceptionally acute hearing and cannot hear the fans on my 2017 iMac at 1200rpm idle. There is no audible noise unless I hold my ear to the case.

1200rpm is 1200rpm and I seriously doubt Apple is using different fans but mine is the top end so you certainly shouldn't be hearing fan noise on a base model.

7. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks SaSaSushi. As I'm typing this I can hear the fan as clearly as the keys on the keyboard. Admittedly it's super quiet here as the rest of the family is in bed; 10:07pm here in Perth.

When sticking my head around the back, in between the back of the iMac and the wall, I can now hear a clicking sound from the fan.....

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I do hear noise in your videos when you have the camera behind the machine.

I hear none of that, in front or behind my iMac and definitely no clicking noises. I recommend you have Apple take a look at it as it may have a faulty fan.

9. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks SaSaSushi.

10. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

11. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I can clearly hear mine at 1200rpm when absolutely nothing is running. I do not have 100% perfect hearing either. I can also hear my 2016 MacBook Pro, 2013 rMBP, 2010 Mac Pro, and 2015 custom built PC. All idle. The only system I do not hear anything from is my iPad because it does not have a fan.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    Clicking is a different story. I do not hear that on mine.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I have excellent hearing. I didn't say perfect. All I can tell you is that I cannot hear the fan noise on my 2017 iMac at 1200rpm idle lest I put my ear to the case. Neither of us is going to prove anything here.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "A sound recording of the fan. I put the phone up just underneath the fan vent. Hear that clicking sound? Machine is completely idle at 1200rpm.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aany90ctekdst67/Voice 002_sd.m4a?dl=0"

Frankly, all I hear is a fan, running at about what I'd call minimum volume.
    Any fan will create a "base level" of sound.

Some folks' hearing is more perceptive than others...

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

In case this was indirectly directed at me, I am aware that all fans make noise. The question here is whether that noise is audible to a user seated in front of the machine.

In my case it is not. Again, I can hear it with my ear to the case. I can hear it loud and clear when it hits about 1400rpm and over 2000 it's quite noisy.

15. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

So... Does anyone think there's a problem with my fan? That clicking sound? I've only got until this coming Tuesday to return it (within the 14 days). I realise that I may not get a completely silent machine in return but I worried about that clicking sound.....

16. ashhamari macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have similar config but with 1TB fusion drive. i dont think any noticeable noise is coming from my mac. even though i am using lightroom and photoshop.

17. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

Here's some more sound clips of the fan noise with the clicking:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1li0ktjxygvvjm/Voice 003_sd.m4a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo4hjl3g2j3oeac/Voice 004_sd.m4a?dl=0

I went to my local Apple store today and played the sound file to one of the salespersons. He said that it doesn't sound like normal fan noise.

He suggested that 1 of their technicians have a look at it. I said that I've got another few days within the 14 day return period and can't I just return it. He said that I've got that option but the technician will actually diagnose and fix the problem. I would have to book the appointment and then it would take about 4-5 day turnaround.

What do you guys reckon?
    - Don't worry about it
    - Return to apple for a replacement
    - Return to apple for a repair

18. gian8989 macrumors regular

Return and buy a new one. If after the repair the problem isn't solved you would be fu**ed because you would need to take to fix every single time (what if after 2-3 times the problem isn't solved? How much time would you have wasted by then?).

19. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I recommend you let the tech diagnose and fix it. Everything else on the machine is fine, right? You've got a good display with no dead pixels? It seems like you've just got a bad fan.

I definitely think you want to get it looked at at the very least because there should be no clicking noises going on.

20. mcomp112 macrumors regular

Return and replace.

21. SaSaSushi, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Care to elaborate on your reasoning? If the fan is the only problem he's got with that machine, why wait much longer on a replacement that could end up having other problems?

Just because you can? I've had my 2017 iMac for two months now and if it developed a fan problem I'd have them fix it even if I had the option of a full replacement because this one is otherwise perfect.

22. Tjmckay4 thread starter macrumors member

I haven't got any other problems with the machine. No screen bleed from what I can see. I guess I'd like to return it as it won't take as long as a repair and I'll have a brand new machine. I can hear it about 2 metres away and that clicking noise is bugging me.

Like Gian said, they may not solve the problem or say "we couldn't hear anything, it's fine" and then I won't be able to return it.

23. mcomp112 macrumors regular

Principles, I guess. I would never keep a machine that was defective out of the box. Evidently, Apple understands that as well since they have an awesome replacement/return policy. 2-3 replacements are not uncommon.

Plus, Apple's replacements arrive really quick since they're prioritized. Fixing the issue through warranty would actually take more time and there's a chance they won't even be able to fix it.

24. andrinho14 macrumors newbie

I opened my iMac's box a few hours ago - EXACTLY the same story as Tjmckay4. In other words, I am upgrading from a 2011 i5 3,1 GHz and got the 2017 27" base model with a 512GB SSD.

I confirm that the fan is audible at 1200 rpm. Yes, as pointed out earlier, it is more the stream of air that is audible, it is not a real "fan" noise. Right now, I cannot hear it as the laundry is being cleaned downstairs. But when it is 100% quiet in the house, I can definitely hear the fan.

With my 2011 27", there is no difference in terms of fan noise between idle and the machine being shut down. It is 100% silent, unless I put stress on the CPU. I was expecting the same with the 2017 model, but I am a bit concerned that it is what it is and replacing it won't help.

Not sure what to do now...