2017 base MBP 13" for 800?

fate0311

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Like new private sale. Figured it would get me by till the fall releases so I at-least have a laptop...or pass on a 2017?

dapa0s

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2019
What do you plan to buy this fall? Do you need one right now, or do you just want to have a macbook for general use?

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
If you keep a can of compressed air nearby, it's probably a decent machine for the money.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Figure out how much the same model refurbished would cost you from apple's refurbished store or via best buy clearance or similar after sales tax. Subtract 15% from that amount. Consider that to be a strict upper bound on price. Subtract more if you prefer, but around the 10% or less mark, I would just buy from a retailer. Also note that "like new" is different from new. It can look clean yet have keyboard wear and battery aging which may not be visible. If I use a laptop lightly for a couple years, it may look new, yet its battery is not new, even if it holds a full charge.

I just noticed you said base or updated it to mention that. I'm still not sure if base means the older style or touchbar (guessing older by its price). Either way, I assume that your intention is to hold it until the new ones come out, and you would like to minimize the loss in value over this time period, assuming a lack of unforeseen events. In that case, I would stick with the formula above.

fate0311

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Figure out how much the same model refurbished would cost you from apple's refurbished store or via best buy clearance or similar after sales tax. Subtract 15% from that amount. Consider that to be a strict upper bound on price. Subtract more if you prefer, but around the 10% or less mark, I would just buy from a retailer. Also note that "like new" is different from new. It can look clean yet have keyboard wear and battery aging which may not be visible. If I use a laptop lightly for a couple years, it may look new, yet its battery is not new, even if it holds a full charge.

I just noticed you said base or updated it to mention that. I'm still not sure if base means the older style or touchbar (guessing older by its price). Either way, I assume that your intention is to hold it until the new ones come out, and you would like to minimize the loss in value over this time period, assuming a lack of unforeseen events. In that case, I would stick with the formula above.
Nice feedback. Ended up going with a new air.