Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
If they have to stop the race to clear debris off the track, they shouldn't be holding a GP there. It might look pretty in places but can't say I'm a big fan.

As for Hamilton v Vettel - a pair of clowns :cool:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If they have to stop the race to clear debris off the track, they shouldn't be holding a GP there. It might look pretty in places but can't say I'm a big fan.

As for Hamilton v Vettel - a pair of clowns :cool:
Drivers have been extremely aggressive today, leading to accidents. The problem is Baku is another "no passing" course, which is such a bore. We already have the obligatory race at Monaco. We don't need another one.
[doublepost=1498401223][/doublepost]I think Ricciardo gets this after all the nonsense.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Holy crap. Magnussen might make the podium. Probably not at full race length, though :(
[doublepost=1498401463][/doublepost]Come on Magnussen!!!!!!!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This just got way too exciting
[doublepost=1498402017][/doublepost]Bottas has a long way to go to catch the front
[doublepost=1498402138][/doublepost]Ricciardo has this.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
For a kid that early in his career, I think the podium was good enough. Ice by Bottas. Spectacular.
A great result. He must just feel a little despondent it wasn't second though.

Points for Alonso and McLaren at last too!

I couldn't see anything other than a Mercedes 1-2 today. Just shows how wrong I was!

So many talking points today.

Mad SC's. a virtual SC would have stopped a lot of the restart shenanigans.

Force India need to sort their drivers out.
Hass need to sort their brakes out.
McLaren need to ditch Honda. ASAP.

And the WC is still wide open. Without the neck brace Lewis would have had closed that gap. But if Lewis didn't need to stop would Vettel have got the 10 second penalty?
I wonder.

Reactions: Morpheo

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
And the WC is still wide open. Without the neck brace Lewis would have had closed that gap. But if Lewis didn't need to stop would Vettel have got the 10 second penalty?
I wonder.

hmmm, interesting. And his penalty was announced right after Hamilton's pit stop.

Well, Seb is still ahead that's all I need to know :D

Great move from Bottas at the very end! ...definitely not the race I was expecting! Full of "surprises" ;)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Not reading the posts as I'm about 30 mins behind, watching it on record. But just got to the red flag and I have to say, if I was a Marshall I would be telling them ALL to grow up!! Unbelievable... as for Vetell and Hamilton trading punches with their cars... more so Vetell, crazy behaviour.

They all need to take cold showers...

My man Max is out cause of mechanical issues... again....

Last edited:

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
It was a lot of nonsense up to the red flag and quite entertaining afterwards. A great example of how important it is to carry on racing after a seemingly race-ending incident. Bottas had been lapped after colliding with his countryman again (and I think it was probably his fault) and Ricciardo was 2nd to last after picking up some debris in the radiator.

Felt a little sorry for Stroll although I'm sure he's just happy to be on the podium. Can't remember the last time there was an overtake on the final straight to take a podium place.

Back to Europe now for 3 back-to-back races, which should all be more interesting races on circuits rather than roads...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I honestly don't think Vettel intended to hit Hamilton, but I agree with the penalty just to send a message that if it was intentional, you're going to pay for it and if it wasn't, well keep better control of your car.

Reactions: Morpheo

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
On British TV Vettel pretty much admitted his contact was deliberate when the reporter said you made contact with Lewis after the corner and he said 'he brake checked me so what do you expect?'

Far too much aggression shown in that race and all drivers need a stern talking to.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
:D:DYay Red Bull win!!! Was Stroll sleeping? Or was it bad luck Botas nailed him...

So many smashes and people barging into other this race all along the line up. Entertaining I have to say! But I agree a LOT of them need a very stern taking to after.

Overal FANTASTIC TO SEE WILLIAMS ON THE PODIUM AGAIN!!! :D:D

As said, next 3 back to back proper circuits, they can really push now. Hopefully Red Bull will push hard the front two. Along with Williams who have shown some sparkle before today...
[doublepost=1498413103][/doublepost]
Drivers have been extremely aggressive today, leading to accidents. The problem is Baku is another "no passing" course, which is such a bore. We already have the obligatory race at Monaco. We don't need another one.
[doublepost=1498401223][/doublepost]I think Ricciardo gets this after all the nonsense.

It was telling when Sky F1 were interviewing the Red Bull chap after, and he said this was the race at this circuit, with all these crashes and safety cars they expected last year... so yeah it's a track they seem to expect a lot of nonsense.
[doublepost=1498413804][/doublepost]I also see Ferrari and another team need a stern taking to and reminder of the rules as they've been penalised for working on cars outside the fast lane? Not sure what it means but I think it relates to the red flag.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Was Stroll sleeping? Or was it bad luck Botas nailed him...

The Mercedes has less aero drag than the Williams so on that 2+ kilometer straight it should have made a big difference, plus Bottas probably had DRS and he definitely had a tow off Stroll. Taken together, Bottas probably had upwards of a 50km/h speed advantage.

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So they've looked at the data after the race and Lewis definitely did nothing unusual or wrong.
Vettel has been given points on his racing license. TBH I think he had a lucky escape. The first incident was just him trying to guess when Lewis would go and to keep close.
The second was just him reacting. Totally unprofessional.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
UK commentary team? :) And no, I am not a German :)

The US commentators on NBCSN Hobbs, Matchett, and the other dude kill me. So pro Lewie it isn't even funny. Or hidden.

Great race! Love all of it!

Force India might have had a one two if Ocon wasn't a complete tw*t!

Fernando scores!!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
The Mercedes has less aero drag than the Williams so on that 2+ kilometer straight it should have made a big difference, plus Bottas probably had DRS and he definitely had a tow off Stroll. Taken together, Bottas probably had upwards of a 50km/h speed advantage.

Yeah, if Stroll had DRS he may have been better? Does the Williams have this year's AMG engine?

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So they've looked at the data after the race and Lewis definitely did nothing unusual or wrong.
Vettel has been given points on his racing license. TBH I think he had a lucky escape. The first incident was just him trying to guess when Lewis would go and to keep close.
The second was just him reacting. Totally unprofessional.

I want him to be at fault but theoretically it makes sense, to me anyway, to slow a little right there then hit the gas after the next corner.
[doublepost=1498431335][/doublepost]

plus the mercedes is a really good car. probably at least a little better than the williams.

i'm sure team williams was telling him where bottas was the last the few laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.