2017 iMac camera is very poor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by carbontune, Oct 18, 2018.

1. carbontune macrumors member

carbontune

Recently, I’ve started to use Skype on my iMac for video calls. I’ve noticed that the built-in webcam’s video quality is very poor - dark and grainy. It’s almost like a very low resolution VGA camera.

I’ve checked the video in the Photo Booth app and it’s just as poor.

Is it supposed to be like this? Or is it being downgraded because I’m not using FaceTime?

I’ve come from a Mac mini with a Logitech C922 full HD webcam which had excellent full-HD and stereo audio.

2. vojislavsh macrumors member

vojislavsh

Yes it is very low quality, nothing wrong with your mac. They are better in new macbook pros because of image processing of T2 chip.

3. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

Any decent web cam will be better.

A good light source, well aimed, will improve your iMac’s images.

4. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

the built in cameras just suck. I don't know why they don't just put the same selfie camera from the iphone in them, instead they're these horrible abominations that have basically remained unchanged since 2008

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yes, good frontal lighting on your face does improve the quality, so you can try that. But otherwise, yes, the cameras included are a horrible embarrassment for Apple.

6. carbontune thread starter macrumors member

carbontune

Thanks all. The iMac is only a few weeks old so I thought there must have been a fault! Upon further research it does appear that the FaceTime HD cameras in the iMac are very poor.

This is rather annoying as I got rid of my old Logitech C920 and C922 cameras that I had been using with my Mac mini previously, in the knowledge that the iMac has a built-in webcam.

I've just ordered a new Logitech C920 from Amazon.