Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
So I know my 27 inch 2017 iMac is not infected but every so often when I go on my Audio video forum the screen gets taken over by a sign saying my iMac has three viruses and sometimes a voice will come on saying same thing. I shut down safari and it's gone.Checked my download folder and nothing suspicious there. Before this started I would get an announcement my flash player outdated which is not true and I just ignored that.Now that's gone but this virus announcement has taken its place Any way to get rid of this or just ignore it?

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Probably just a garden variety browser malware

Run the free Malwarebytes application and see what you get
Also, might want to clean out your cookies and such on your browser
Could you recommend a safe free malwarebytes app. thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Download MalwareBytes and run it:
https://www.malwarebytes.com

IMPORTANT:
Select the "home" option.
It's a FREE download

IMPORTANT:
You DO NOT NEED TO BUY A SUBSCRIPTION to run MalwareBytes.
It will run FOREVER IN FREE MODE.
When you open it, IGNORE the button to "Upgrade Now".
Just click "Scan Now".
Again, you DO NOT have to buy the pay-for version!

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
So I know my 27 inch 2017 iMac is not infected but every so often when I go on my Audio video forum the screen gets taken over by a sign saying my iMac has three viruses and sometimes a voice will come on saying same thing. I shut down safari and it's gone.Checked my download folder and nothing suspicious there. Before this started I would get an announcement my flash player outdated which is not true and I just ignored that.Now that's gone but this virus announcement has taken its place Any way to get rid of this or just ignore it?

Do you have a version of Flash installed?

(I half suspect that you would still get redirected to a site that encourages you to download flash-- and not the official distribution, either)

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Yep, one of the bad actors is attempting to take over — or has already done so.

I use the free version of Avira. It's pretty good at finding this crap and kicking it to the curb also.

If you need to run Flash (unfortunately, thanks to SalesForce, I must), the only place to check for and download updates is from the Flash control panel in System Preferences. Never ever ever ever check from or go to a link in a pop-up, no matter how official it looks—it ain't.

Reactions: Ledgem and jerwin

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Any way to get rid of this or just ignore it?

Yes. Don't use the site(s) where you got this popup. THEY are infected. NOT your computer.

It is just some crafty, annoying Javascript/HTML/CSS that is designed to make it difficult for you to close the popup. It is just trying to scare you into purchasing some "solution".

It might have been included in an ad if the site is using a sketchy ad network.

It might have actually been added to the website by a hacker/virus/etc.

It is common for the latter to happen with poorly-maintained/unattended sites that have poor admin passwords.

So I know my 27 inch 2017 iMac is not infected

And I tend to agree. Nothing that scans for problems on your computer is going to fix a problem on the website!

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Thanks to all.Interesting that today I checked my flash player in system preferences and it said an update was available. I got it and its official update and so far no more pop up scares. I also let the site of the forum where I kept getting the pop up know about this issue.They are the AVS Forum which are huge and if they let this stuff get into their site its going to annoy thousands.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Thanks to all.Interesting that today I checked my flash player in system preferences and it said an update was available. I got it and its official update and so far no more pop up scares. I also let the site of the forum where I kept getting the pop up know about this issue.They are the AVS Forum which are huge and if they let this stuff get into their site its going to annoy thousands.

I'm on the AVS forums everyday. I've never seen anything like that there.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I'm on the AVS forums everyday. I've never seen anything like that there.
Its linked up to someone answering a statement you make on some topic. Your email tells you someone has answered you and when you click on the link to reply up comes the statement you are infected with three virus and a voice starts talking. close the browser and its gone.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Its linked up to someone answering a statement you make on some topic. Your email tells you someone has answered you and when you click on the link to reply up comes the statement you are infected with three virus and a voice starts talking. close the browser and its gone.

Weird. I'm running Ad Guard ad blocker extension in Safari. Maybe that's why I don't see those pop ups.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
today I checked my flash player in system preferences and it said an update was available. I got it and its official update and so far no more pop up scares.

I can't think of any good reason for having Flash Player installed. Unless you are dependant on some site that requires it, I would strongly recommend removing it.

So, you got a phishing email. It probably did not actually come from AVS Forum. And I'm sure the URL that you click leads to somewhere other than AVS Forum.

I'll bet somebody got ahold of the AVS Forum member roster (I seem to recall that in fact that happened - I am a member - I think we were asked to reset passwords...) Either that or member email addresses are publicly listed on the site, or perhaps that is an option that some users don't know how to disable.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I can't think of any good reason for having Flash Player installed. Unless you are dependant on some site that requires it, I would strongly recommend removing it
Not possible for many of us. I can't do my job without it.

Flash was supposed to be gone from the internet January 2017. Clearly, that didn't happen.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I agree it seems to be a spam email trying to sell you something. Or a fishing email - did it ask you to login?

In any case, changing your password there wouldn't hurt.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
To get the latest bona-fide copy of the Flash updater/installer, use this URL:
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_osx.dmg

WARNING!
Clicking this link will ALWAYS initiate an immediate direct download of the flash installer to your drive.

Then... just open the installer and run it.

During the install, I ALWAYS check the option:
"Never check for updates".
That way it can't "update" or install "behind my back".

I disable "automatic updates" for ALL my software, INCLUDING Apple software.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattg3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.