Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010lexus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
I just got my second 2017 iMac the first one was sent back for a restarting problem. And now this one has started to freeze and then restart. just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

guibo

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
dont have the issue. sounds liek a software issue if you have 2 machines with the same unusual problem. does it happen with a clean install?

2010lexus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
dont have the issue. sounds liek a software issue if you have 2 machines with the same unusual problem. does it happen with a clean install?
my first one was returned then I ordered a new one they did have me try a clean install before apple had me return it.
I have not tried the clean install on the new one yet but I will tonight. thanks for the advice

2010lexus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Could be older software transferred over if you used Migration Assistant.
Because of the problems with the first iMac I just set it up as a new computer. All my files are on an external hard drive but I haven't connected it yet.
[doublepost=1501708737][/doublepost]
Did you put in any third-party memory?
No have not put any third party memory in this one.
But the one I returned I did put some memory in that one but once it started to restart I removed the memory and sent the memory back but the problem continued.
With this computer it has froze and restarted 2 times so far 1 when I first opened photos and the other when I opened Safari.
The first Imac would restart sometime when it was asleep.

Last edited:

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
I've had a rMBP have consistent restart issues due to a USB device, but my second guess, if it's not a bad run of Apple products, is that however the power is being supplied isn't correct (enough, or voltage isn't consistent, bad outlet, etc). The USB issues I've had have been power draw issues. Maybe the iMac is drawing more power than previous computers. Uncommon computer problem, but worth trying another outlet.

2010lexus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
I've had a rMBP have consistent restart issues due to a USB device, but my second guess, if it's not a bad run of Apple products, is that however the power is being supplied isn't correct (enough, or voltage isn't consistent, bad outlet, etc). The USB issues I've had have been power draw issues. Maybe the iMac is drawing more power than previous computers. Uncommon computer problem, but worth trying another outlet.
Thanks for your response. I think I could have found the problem. Yesterday I unplugged a blu-ray burner that I bought from OWC and it has not restarted once. so I'm thinking it may be the problem. I did read that you should unplug every thing and see if it continues to restart so that's what I did.
I can't imagine that i could have 2 new computers with the same problem so it must be something on my end.
I talked to OWC they said to plug it back in and if it continues to restart they would set up a RMA to check the blu-ray burner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.