2017 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by U1cracka, May 16, 2018.

  1. U1cracka macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #1
    Hi was wondering if the new 2017 iMacs worth upgrading to from a Mid 2011 iMacs with 500gb hard drive and 12gb of RAM. My 2011 has been slow lately and was thing of getting a 2017.
     
  2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2017
    #2
    Wait for WWDC, it's in less than 3 weeks!

    Other than that, it depends what you do with it. Going from a HDD to the super fast SSD of the 2017 iMac would be a huge upgrade for sure. The screen will also be a big upgrade. The rest it really depends what you do with it.
     
  3. U1cracka thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #3
    Thanks think I might wait and see what happens at WWDC 2018 and see if a redesign iMac or Mac mini comes out.

    Maybe I’ll upgrade my 2011 iMac to a SSD drive and use a thunderbolt dock to get USB 3.0 for my external drives.
    Anyone use a thunderbolt dock
     
  4. mreg376, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

    mreg376 macrumors 65816

    mreg376

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #4
    I was in the same dilemma, ready to upgrade from a 2007 iMac. What I decided to do the other day was order a custom 27" iMac from Apple, which takes about two weeks to deliver, and which then has a two-week return window, which takes me through WWDC. I'll see what they have to say at WWDC and decide whether to keep or return my new iMac, but if any redesign takes away user-upgradable RAM (the current 2017 iMac is the the only model left that permits that), I'll pass on this redesign, because I'm not adding $600-1200 to the cost of the machine by having to pay Apple's ludicrous prices for expanding RAM.
     
  5. U1cracka thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #5
    I agree if the new iMacs aren’t user-upgradable RAM then I’ll stick with a 2017 iMac or go back to a PC.
    I’m hoping the new iMac will have a edge to edge display like this

    65DC897A-98C5-438B-9346-6B573FB14FD1.jpeg 973CC452-BDC9-4DCC-AF1E-B6482C5C9E85.jpeg
     

    Attached Files:

  6. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

    _Refurbished_

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    #6
    One can always hope.

    Doesn't look like we're seeing a redesigned iMac @ WWDC, at most a processor bump (that seems unlikely as well). There have been very few rumors pointing to an update. I'm going to get my iMac next week, within the fourteen day return window of WWDC (pretty sure there's no restocking fee).
     
  7. mreg376 macrumors 65816

    mreg376

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #7
    No restocking fee. Mine should be here by the 25th!
     
  8. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

    _Refurbished_

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    #8
    Nice! Why not wait until next week just in case? I don't expect to see anything, but if I bought one now and couldn't return it after WWDC, I'd be an angry elf! :mad:
     
  9. mreg376 macrumors 65816

    mreg376

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #9
    I did a BTO, on 5/16, and it's scheduled to be delivered between 5/25 and 5/28. The 14 return windows extends through WWDC. So I should be good.

    What COULD happen is they announce an update, that no longer includes user-upgradable RAM, and then poof, the current machines are no longer for sale. Just being extra cautious.
     
  10. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2017
    #10
    Yeah I'm not what what's the advantage here with buying an iMac right in time to return it if there's something new. Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefits. Probably just for the fun of trying both devices if a new one comes out.

    Personally I'm willing to wait up to October for a refresh. If there's not a new iMac by then I'll reconsider my options but I don't think I'd be getting a 2017, I really hate the idea of paying for older tech at the same price that it was released. If a decent MBP is released in the meantime I might consider that instead.
     
  11. mreg376 macrumors 65816

    mreg376

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #11
    I don't really disagree, and I was also waiting. But I don't want to wait until the Fall (I'm running a 2007 iMac), I see the less-than-a-year-old 2017 iMacs not as old tech but rather a mature line (a lot of people are having teething issues with their much more expensive and newly minted iMac Pro's), I got an employee discount of a few hundred dollars, I won't be interested in an update that omits the user-upgradeable RAM, and yet if they do announce a new iMac that I just MUST have there will be time for me to return the 2017. Trying to cover all the bases...
     
  12. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2017
    #12
    I see now, makes sense!

    Even though I really like Apple products, the way we are all planning our purchase just shows that there's something wrong with the way they handle the Mac lineup. It makes potential buyers afraid of simply not seeing updates for a while or of how they are going to restrict the product if there's an update. And then when they finally release something suitable we are afraid of buying it in case there are issues with it...
     
  13. mreg376 macrumors 65816

    mreg376

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #13
    You really hit the nail on the head! In a way Apple is like a car manufacturer, and i find myself in the same thought process as when deciding to buy a new car. Apple apparently doesn't want to be producing several model years at one time -- at some point there's a switchover. Sometimes there are minor changes, occasionally major. So I'm not sure that Apple is doing anything wrong, just different -- it's a combination of the model year "system," the popularity and design quality of their products, the fact that they want to keep the prices of all model years basically the same, and the fact that, overall, people's existing Apple computers keep going and going. (They even have a used car showroom -- the refurbished store...)
     
  14. mlody macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Location:
    Windy City
    #14
    I have 27" mid-2010 with 24 GB of memory and 250GB SSD as the boot drive. I also would like to upgrade my system, but I might have to hold out for another year as overall my machine is working just fine. The SSD really solves most of the slowness issues I had with the systems, so if you can, I would highly recommend upgrading HDD to SSD
     
  15. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

    _Refurbished_

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    #15
    Now it makes sense.

    Also, do you know if you can get alternately configured iMacs in an Apple store for same day in store pickup?
     
  16. mreg376 macrumors 65816

    mreg376

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #16
    Generally, no. The stores usually stock only standard configurations. However, I hear that sometimes a store may have an alternate config, so it pays to call your local store before you do a BTO. B&H Photo in NYC stocks many alternate configurations, and they are an excellent store that ships immediately to most places outside New York without sales tax, BUT be aware that they do not accept returns for refund of open computers under any circumstances.
     

Share This Page