Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Can it be done? I've searched Google to exhaustion, there's nothing on YouTube either, and no-one's written about whether it can be done with the Kaby Lake iMacs.

In theory it can be done, as there's more than enough power there, but I need definitive proof before I buy a HDMI-to-Thunderbolt 3/USB-C cable and a Oculus Rift CV1.

Last edited:

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Same question here!

The price on the Oculus Rift is right. Eventually we should see support, especially with High Sierra supporting external GPUs. It would be great to get some definitely answers. I agree.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
**UPDATE:** Success!

Ok a little back-story: A month ago, I took the plunge and bought a Rift, in the Summer sale.

I had issues with what turned out to be the HMD cable. I bought a new one last week on a hunch(because I had no disconnect errors and I had consistent audio) and it arrived today. It was my last hope before packing the HMD back to Oculus for them to look at it.

The new cable worked flawlessly with the USB-C to HDMI adapter I bought from Amazon.
I just spent 4 hours setting up my Oculus Avatar and playing my arcade
ROMS in New Retro Arcade.
It felt like one hour. The sun was shining when I began, and it was nightfall when I finished, haha.

I've got about 25 days left of my RMA period for sending my Rift back to Oculus, so I'm gonna wait a few days to see if my current joy is permanent or short-lived.

It cost me an extra £50, but I don't care - it's better than sending the headset back waiting two weeks, only for them to say the headset is fine!

This is the HDMI Adapter that works for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MYUCWOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Su9vDQTXBydY3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.