Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wa2be

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
We recently bought a new Macbook Air and since day 1 have had problems with the power cord not charging the computer after it's been unplugged for awhile. I found the fix online where you press the right combination of keys and it magically reactivates the power cord, but it's getting old having to do this every single time we take it off power to use it on battery. Is there a more permanent fix for this? Can they do anything at the Apple store to fix it, or should we ask them to replace it?

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
We recently bought a new Macbook Air and since day 1 have had problems with the power cord not charging the computer after it's been unplugged for awhile. I found the fix online where you press the right combination of keys and it magically reactivates the power cord, but it's getting old having to do this every single time we take it off power to use it on battery. Is there a more permanent fix for this? Can they do anything at the Apple store to fix it, or should we ask them to replace it?

If it's an easy fix, they'll do it. Otherwise they'll swap it out (most likely).

macadoeshuz

Suspended
Nov 4, 2015
Canada
We recently bought a new Macbook Air (Love Apple - there employee communication is awesome) and since day 1 have had problems with the power cord not charging the computer after it's been unplugged for awhile. I found the fix online where you press the right combination of keys and it magically reactivates the power cord, but it's getting old having to do this every single time we take it off power to use it on battery. Is there a more permanent fix for this? Can they do anything at the Apple store to fix it, or should we ask them to replace it? I do have the basic invoice they gave me.

Replace it but get it done by the Apple team. Especially if it's under warranty. My Macbook Air is now over 5 years old. The only thing that's began to suck is it started overheating faster than usual. I hope it survives for another couple years.

Last edited:

macadoeshuz

Suspended
Nov 4, 2015
Canada
Update: the Apple store ended up giving us a new Macbook Air to replace ours. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, and the charging problem was occurring with both my cord and a new one that they brought out to test it with. So far the new one is working great!

That's awesome bud! Apple's customer service in action :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Update: the Apple store ended up giving us a new Macbook Air to replace ours. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, and the charging problem was occurring with both my cord and a new one that they brought out to test it with. So far the new one is working great!

Great to hear such a story; my experience of Apple customer service is excellent, especially while the computer is still under warranty. In fact, this was one of the many reasons I ''switched" to Apple, as I had found that they honoured their warranties when an iPod died while under warranty.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Glad it worked out. LESSON: always ask, Is this normal? then we would tell you whether is OCD on your part or something that needs to be taken care of right away.

Reactions: galactic orange
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.