2017 Macbook Air won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wa2be, Jan 12, 2018.

1. wa2be macrumors member

We recently bought a new Macbook Air and since day 1 have had problems with the power cord not charging the computer after it's been unplugged for awhile. I found the fix online where you press the right combination of keys and it magically reactivates the power cord, but it's getting old having to do this every single time we take it off power to use it on battery. Is there a more permanent fix for this? Can they do anything at the Apple store to fix it, or should we ask them to replace it?

2. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

If it's still under warranty, take it back to the Apple store and let them fix or replace it. I don't recommend doing anything to the machine that may give them an excuse to not warranty the unit.

3. oldtime macrumors 6502

If it's an easy fix, they'll do it. Otherwise they'll swap it out (most likely).

4. macadoeshuz, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018

macadoeshuz macrumors newbie

macadoeshuz

Replace it but get it done by the Apple team. Especially if it's under warranty. My Macbook Air is now over 5 years old. The only thing that's began to suck is it started overheating faster than usual. I hope it survives for another couple years.

5. wa2be thread starter macrumors member

Update: the Apple store ended up giving us a new Macbook Air to replace ours. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, and the charging problem was occurring with both my cord and a new one that they brought out to test it with. So far the new one is working great!

6. macadoeshuz, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018

macadoeshuz macrumors newbie

macadoeshuz

That's awesome bud! Apple's customer service in action :)

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great to hear such a story; my experience of Apple customer service is excellent, especially while the computer is still under warranty. In fact, this was one of the many reasons I ''switched" to Apple, as I had found that they honoured their warranties when an iPod died while under warranty.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Glad it worked out. LESSON: always ask, Is this normal? then we would tell you whether is OCD on your part or something that needs to be taken care of right away.