Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waring192

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
Hello,

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with the extended AppleCare support. I noticed a few months that the keyboard was starting to double press on some letters like B, K and the Backspace would get stuck down sometimes.

I looked online and read there was fault with the Keyboards so I posted in the MacBook to be repaired. I also told them that the trackpad lower left area was not quite as responsive as the other areas of it.

Anyhow, I got a phone call yesterday saying that they would not repair the keyboard but to a small amount of liquid damage on the lower left of the trackpad. I was not aware of this and as quoted £568 for the top case to be replaced.

I was not very happy about this so contacted Apple and they said they would not repair the Keyboard due to the trackpad liquid damage. So, I said I would like the keyboard fixing as the Apple Repair people said that there was ZERO damage to the keyboard and only the trackpad (which is still usable but not great).

I have been told that due to the fact its all one part (Trackpad + Keyboard) they will not fix the Keyboard even though there is no damage to it at all. I explained I was happy to just use and external mouse (if needed) but they kept saying the same thing, that the keyboard was part of the trackpad.

They said as per the terms and conditions of the AppleCare Protection Plan they will not fix the keyboard as its the same piece of hardware as the trackpad. I looked at the terms and conditions and it nowhere states that fact at all. I even asked them just to replace the keys that don't work and they refused.

I am hoping that someone could give me some advice here as its only 13 months old, cost me around £2500 and the is zero damage to the keyboard that I would like fixing.

Many thanks

waring192

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
Well I have been in touch with Uk consumer right to also share my view on this. I also have some photos of the liquid damage that has stopped them from repairing the keyboard...

IMAG0940.jpg

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
On Macbook pro from 2013 on the standard procedure when the keyboard, battery, or trackpad need replacement is to replace the "Top Case Assembly" which includes Al case (where you hands rest on), keyboard, trackpad, and battery. They do this because the parts are glued, screwed, or riveted together.

In the US you can do a battery replacement relatively cheaply that replaces the Top Case Assembly. Here is the pricing, https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.