2017 MacBook Pro 15in Strange Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parkm13, Apr 9, 2018.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have a kinda weird thing happening. I have done a few google searches and can't seem to find anything. When I wake my 2017 15in MacBook Pro from sleep it makes a noise just like a hard drive spinning up. The best I can tell is that the sound is coming from the lower right hand side. I believe that there are no moving parts (other than the fans) and I am really at a loss for what this could be.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could be? Really any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like this is not a very common issue. I am mostly just worried about it being a warning sign of something that is going to go wrong.

3. jerryk macrumors 601

Maybe the trackpad? There are motors in there to simulate click feedback

4. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

5. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

I had similar experience before as well. I wake up my MPB, the fan hits full speed for few second for no reason at all. Then it will clam down o_O. But, just few times and no more.

6. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

I've considered the trackpad, but it doesn't really sound like that and I can't feel any vibrations.

Fans seem like the most logical answer as they are the only moving parts, but the sound comes and goes too fast for it to be the fans spinning up. Also, the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the right position for it to be the fans

7. jerryk macrumors 601

If it is not the trackpad, then my guess is the fans. The fan might just pulse up to a high RPM for a second as part of the wake up sequence and then drop down to normal speed. Macbook Pro fans run all the time. But, most people cannot hear them when they are at their low normal RPM.

Beyond fans and the trackpad I don't think there are an other motors in the unit.