2017 MacBook Pro News!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexanderyan, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Alexanderyan macrumors newbie

Alexanderyan

20% Increase in CPU performance, lower power consumption, 32GB RAM option. also price drop for the 13 based without touch bar.

Hope this is real lol

2. honeybadger1022 macrumors member

honeybadger1022

I really don't see the point in waiting. You can always sit and wait and wait for the next big thing but we are talking early next year at best. That couple with my doubts about kaby lake or whatever Intel's next generations improving beyond single digits just adds to this. To each their own.

3. Alexanderyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Alexanderyan

True, and the 20% performance increase sounds too good to be true.

4. capelesshero macrumors member

capelesshero

5. honeybadger1022 macrumors member

honeybadger1022

In addition to the kaby lake processor being less energy hungry it should be noted that the 32gb might end up being desktop class which would in turn defeat the earlier savings.

I've never seen Apple go back and make something thicker, but unless they sort out some new battery technology I'm not sure about these rumors.

6. capelesshero macrumors member

capelesshero

The thing is they already have new battery technology that was debuted in the 12" MacBook.

7. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

But the next one after this one is gonna be even better. You should just wait for that one. But I'm hearing the next, next, next one is going to be even faster, cheaper, thinner. And there's some early rumors about the next, next, next, next one and I'm 100% sure you should just wait for that one. Except that...

8. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

If the rumours about Apple rushing the 2016 model to market in order to meet holiday sales are anything to go by, then perhaps there's an argument to wait.

9. honeybadger1022 macrumors member

honeybadger1022

There may be some validity to that but at the same time I still don't see the point in waiting almost an entire calendar year for what might be slightly energy improvements and unless they decide to hop ship and go with Nvidia I'm not sure we will see any GPU changes either. Unless Polaris has a mobile SKU...

10. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

They are going to dump usb-c with a brand new usb-d standard, because that is the future.

11. macmee Suspended

macmee

12. Swisspo macrumors regular

Swisspo

Can't wait to see what they charge on a 32gb Kaby Lake model LOL

13. bniu macrumors 6502a

I'm dragging my feet for Cannonlake.

I want the DP1.3 so I can do SST to a 5K screen. Plus, I want the 2TB option to come down a bit in price. I'll definitely be upgrading to 32GB RAM and maybe we will see 8GB GPU option.

Otherwise, my quad core crystalwell with 16GB RAM and 1TB storage and GT 750m with 2GB GPU is good enough for quite a while and I'm surely not upgrading to a model with the same ram and storage.

Plus, these days, I don't use my MBP nearly as much as I use my iPad and my iPad not nearly as much as I use my iPhone. A vast majority of the things I used my mac for are now done on my phone. Yes, it's still easier to do on my mac, but I can take the slightly less efficient UI on the phone for the convenience of doing the tasks on the go with my phone.

14. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Speculation. They developed this model for several years, they didn't rush anything.

As for the next model - it will be better. But if you need a computer now, there's no point in waiting. I think the 2016 model is an excellent buying point - the design will last for several years, the next two will probably get minor speed updates.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2017 ---
    Why? Has your RAM usage increased over the years or do you just like bigger numbers? :)

15. bniu macrumors 6502a

Actually, my ram usage is quite significant and I'm paging out a lot on my MacBook Pro already. I'm also not upgrading notebooks just to end up with the same specs again. The Crystalwell rMBP are quite fast and thin enough already.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If your current computer is not good enough for the job then the 10 months of a new better computer doing the work you need done faster and more efficiently is always a better investment than waiting for pie in the sky specs that may or may not pan out. If a 2016 MBP will increase your production in those 10 months then buy now if it won't then you don't need a new computer anyway so do what you want.

17. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

I don't agree. I would definitely wait for the 2017 model in the hopes that Apple as been listening to their customers and they are working diligently to iron out all the little kinks and wrinkles with the 2016 model. It has nothing to do with more speed or more power or 32GB RAM or whatever; it's all about fixing battery life, build issues, etc. etc. Just like the first year of a new car, first year computers always have issues. But give it a year or so and usually these things are smoothed out, and eventually, it's a perfect product. My 2015 Macbook Pro 15" is a good example of that process. It's the pinnacle of perfection of the previous generation of Macbook Pros, IMO.

18. honeybadger1022 macrumors member

honeybadger1022

I see your point, but also still side with everyone saying if you need a computer now then the 2016 model is perfectly fine. Im sure the next batch will have just as many issues, but in different departments. Say this new screen technology or other things. Moreover, some issues never go away when it comes to mass production such as the ~10 page flame thread where somebody decided to return a rattling MacBook. Im not against waiting in certain cases, but I do worry threads like this make people second guess their decisions when there really is no point.

19. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I think there will be a good point in waiting if you are hoping for the extreme far ends of the spectrum. Like I do believe they will come out with a lower cost of entry for sure and then if they are going to have a 15" with desktop RAM that's basically what some people have been asking for. Otherwise I wouldn't wait because then there will start to be rumors about how much better the 2018 version will be. So this kind of thinking is just an endless cycle of worrying about when the next best thing comes out which never stops happening.

20. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I believe that if your waiting for a 2017 with all the old ports & keyboard from 2015 and you think Apple is just going to eliminate USB-C because you want all the old ports your sadly mistaken.

In fact, there is no indication at all that Apple has found any fault in the 2016 keyboard as it stands. Many here are waiting to order 16" models believing they will change the design when in fact we have no such confirmation and is only talk or wishes.

21. seadragon, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

seadragon Contributor

I think with Apple, it's always best to wait for the "tock" version when a major redesign is involved.. I'm waiting for the next one at this point. Same will probably hold true for the new iPhone being introduced later this year. Totally new design will almost certainly be met with first run issues.

22. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

If you've waited this long, you may as well wait longer. As for me, I've been enjoying my new 2016 15" for 2 months now and couldn't be happier with my decision not to wait.

23. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

There is always paging, even with 128Gb RAM. If you're running multiple VMs or doing some intensive render work - or something like that - then yeah, you're using more than 16Gb RAM. If not, and your Memory Pressure is green, you're not filling up your 16Gb, even though you may think so. 16Gb is overkill for most things people do. The only people who need 32Gb are those who really know they need it, for specific workflows.

Also - the new MBPs are far from "same specs". A lot faster gpu, SSD, faster RAM, faster I/O - literally everything is faster. And that's not even taking screen quality and improved input devices into account.

I'm not saying you need to upgrade - any Retina MBP is still a very capable computer - but saying the new MBPs have same specs is just not true.

24. MrGuder macrumors 68020

There is one thing I couldn't understand about the 2016 Macbook Pro vs the 2015, is the internal graphics, Ars Technica I believe had reported that the internal Iris Pro was slower compared to the 2015 model, it wasn't by much but I think that's what they stated on their graph. Is that really true, because I had the 2.2 ghz 2015 15" and then I had the 2016 2.6 ghz 15" back to back within several weeks and to be honest I couldn't tell much different in speed with both models, in fact I think the 2016 internal graphics seemed a bit faster. So is the difference really moot or is there really a difference with the internal Iris Pro between the 2015 & 2016 15"?

25. bniu macrumors 6502a

I do run a lot of VMs and video render and have 100 safari tabs open. Sure, the sky lake one has a faster GPU, but not enough for me to upgrade. Faster SSD? I'm already quite satisfied with my current one, it's the storage size that bugs me a bit. Faster RAM? I've never felt my RAM speed was that slow. Faster I/O? The TB2 ports I have are fine today. External hard drives don't come anywhere near saturating that. Seeing the cannonlake specs, that will deliver a more refined system such as DP1.3 so I can do SST 5K, LPDDR4 ram for 32GB, even better GPU, maybe even a 4TB SSD option.