2017 MacBook Pro poor wifi performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by treimche, Oct 19, 2018.

1. treimche macrumors member

I have been noticing lately that my 2017 MBP with Touch Bar wifi connection isn't nearly as fast as it used to be. It is currently running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1 beta. I would say this has been happening for at least a couple of weeks. I have tried killing all the applications that are using wifi, rebooting, restart modem and router, etc.

When I run a test on speedtest.net, this 2017 MBP is much slower than my old 2012 Retina MBP and my iPhone XS Max. They're all on the same 5ghz wifi network and all within a few feet of each other, so the location in the house shouldn't be the issue. Any suggestions?

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Split the network between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, to ensure that you're not wandering onto 2.4GHz frequency space (ie, different SSIDs).

Then with the 2012 and 2017 devices next to each other, run the speed test and see how they perform. If the result don't seem to make sense please post some details and we can help.

* How is the network set up
    * screen shots of "Opt-click" on your wifi icon
    * speed test results

3. treimche thread starter macrumors member

The network is split into separate 2.4 and 5ghz connections. I’m always on the 5ghz connection. I can post some screen shots tomorrow.

4. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a