2017 MacBook Pro sent off for repair..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soundsystem00, May 22, 2019.

1. soundsystem00 macrumors member

soundsystem00

I bought a 2017 MacBook Pro used in Mint condition. Not a scratch on it. Well every since I got it, I have been noticing defects. First it was the left speaker muffled. Then the keyboard started going out.

The keyboard is covered under the warranty. They tried to replace two different top panels on-site but then couldn’t get power from the battery. They can no longer get the MacBook Pro to turn on. They just now sent it off to an off-site repair facility, so who knows how long this is going to take?

What is the worse case scenario that will happen from this? I am pretty sure the Apple girl told me that I will receive a functioning laptop in return, regardless, even if they have to give me a new model.

I hope that is the case. I am worried that they are going to say they canno’t repair it. Can they do that? Because the laptop was functioning fine when I turned it in. Just mild keyboard errors and left speaker muffled.

I am pretty worried. I just got this computer and it’s already in the E.R.

2. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Get a credit and a 2019 model. They repair the 2016 and 2017 models with the same defective keyboards.

3. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

You can't just get a credit. They have the right to repair it in the method they see fit per the terms and conditions of the warranty.

4. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Was also purchased "used".

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

After 3 repairs, if you ask them, they'll probably offer to replace it.

If it's a lemon, it's not worth their time.

6. soundsystem00 thread starter macrumors member

soundsystem00

Okay guys. I finally went to pick up the laptop. A guy comes out with it and shows me a huge list of repairs and replacements they did. But when I dropped it off they said $0 and never told me it would ever be more.

He said I owed $800 for parts and labor costs. And that is cheap considering to what they did. It seemed strange to me because other than a few bugs the laptop was working great.

I finally ended up getting it waived but I was really freaking out.

7. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I think that people in doubt of what it will cost should just show up with a camera crew when they bring the device in and when they pick it up. BTW, I thought of shorting AAPL today. I still might. This whole fiasco over something as dumb as a keyboard. I'd guess that this has cost them at least in the millions and more likely above $10 million. I did put in an order to short them but I don't know if it will get filled. They need to rise back to $180/share.

8. soundsystem00 thread starter macrumors member

soundsystem00

It was messed up! Yeah, I can't believe I had the exact same problem with my last Macbook pro 13 inch. That means that literally EVERY MODEL is defective! Wow! I bet they have lost millions over that. It is so funny because right when I started mentioning that it is a common problem and my last one was also defective, they asked me in their polite apple language to please move to the back table to test the laptop out, haha.

People are speculating that Apples Macbook Pro game has gone down hill and that they have neglected them in a lot of ways, shifting primary focus to Cell Phones.

I love cell phones, ipads, ect... But nothing beats a full powered laptop! Nothing! I will go windows if I have to ( ew! lol jk ) but I don't want to ever give up my personal laptops! Have loved them since the dial up Compaq Presario days!

9. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Market is coming back and AAPL with it. I may get filled on my short.

AAPL high was $230/share. It's now $179 and change. Float is 4.35 billion shares. So, $50 * 4.35 billion is $200 billion+ marketcap drop. The MacBook stuff certainly isn't helping.