Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Quick question...

All the keys on my keyboard seem to be consistent in terms of the amount of force it takes to press it down and have a distinguishable click.. however the center top of the space bar presses down more easily and doesn't click when I press down gently. However the rest of the space bar does click.. does this have to do with force distribution since the space bar is longer..? Normal?

Last edited:

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Great, yet another keyboard problem with the new MBP :)

not sure if it's exactly a problem. If i rest my finger on the upper center of the spacebar with some slight weight it registers as a space.. the space bar def clicks quick than other keys.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
It does not click when you press it down gently. So do you ever press it down gently under normal conditions or is it a synthetic problem which usually is not a problem?
Compare it to other devices in retail stores near you.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Quick question...

All the keys on my keyboard seem to be consistent in terms of the amount of force it takes to press it down and have a distinguishable click.. however the center top of the space bar presses down more easily and doesn't click when I press down gently. However the rest of the space bar does click.. does this have to do with force distribution since the space bar is longer..? Normal?
IMO, on the 2016 and possibly the 2017 the space bar felt different than all the other keys. It was like the one key that had more travel but still hit bottom pretty hard on the 2016. I would just use it a lot and if it's in question return in the 14 day period. Don't be in the situation I am in where mine is being repaired and I have no idea what I am getting back. It's very possible i have to go through this 3+ times before Apple offers a replacement. Yes, my keyboard failed Apple diagnostics.

entraik

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
IMO, on the 2016 and possibly the 2017 the space bar felt different than all the other keys. It was like the one key that had more travel but still hit bottom pretty hard on the 2016. I would just use it a lot and if it's in question return in the 14 day period. Don't be in the situation I am in where mine is being repaired and I have no idea what I am getting back. It's very possible i have to go through this 3+ times before Apple offers a replacement. Yes, my keyboard failed Apple diagnostics.

I'm just worried that another return will end up resulting in me having some other issue... This would be my second return. My first MBP had a internal crack in the screen and this one has a mushy spacebar...

I think I may go tonight.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I'm just worried that another return will end up resulting in me having some other issue... This would be my second return. My first MBP had a internal crack in the screen and this one has a mushy spacebar...

I think I may go tonight.
This is making my purchase of a refurbished 13" 2015 today make more and more sense. Sorry for the trouble you are having. It really is jacked for the money we spend. I may unload my 2016 when I get it back, keep the 2015 and can fund my IPP 10.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.