2017 MBA is current best selling laptop on Amazon!

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
All they ever needed to do was put a retina screen in the 2017 MBA..

All the other changes they made to that lineup were unnecessary and neutral at best and unwanted at worst.

ghanwani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008

There are a lot more.

Seanm87

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
All they ever needed to do was put a retina screen in the 2017 MBA..

All the other changes they made to that lineup were unnecessary and neutral at best and unwanted at worst.
Hmm I don't know it was massively due a design upgrade anyway. It was starting to look a bit dated. The new MacBook airs are beautiful. I am typing on one now. :)

Bazza1

macrumors regular
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I got a 2017 Air (to replace an 11" 2011 one - and that largely because I wanted more screen size and was also aware the next OS wouldn't work on my 2011) specifically because it wasn't a 2018 model.

Retina? Meh. Maybe nice, but don't need it.
Keyboard? Potential issues - no thanks.
No MagSafe or legacy ports? Uh, no.
Not quite as cool as 2018 model? I don't need confirmation of my self-worth.
Costs more? Nope. Forget the Apple Tax - and I got mine at Apple's own Refurb store.

It works as advertised for me (known MacOS and base app 'issues' notwithstanding) - what's to regret about that?

Reactions: sracer

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Love my 2018 Air! the keyboard is crisp and fast, the retina screen beautiful, and the battery life downright amazing. You couldn't pay me enough money to own a 2017 Air. Eh, actually, you probably could, then I'd just take that money and buy me a 2018/19 Air. Whoop!

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hmm I don't know it was massively due a design upgrade anyway. It was starting to look a bit dated. The new MacBook airs are beautiful. I am typing on one now. :)
Same here.. 2019 base model MacBook Air. It works perfectly for me.. I couldn’t care less if the entire world hates it.

Reactions: Mainsail and sracer

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Same here.. 2019 base model MacBook Air. It works perfectly for me.. I couldn’t care less if the entire world hates it.
And that's what it should be about! We're all different, we all have our own priorities, likes, and dislikes. I think that Apple group-think has been around so long that some are still clinging to that antiquated notion.

In the past, everyone who was using Apple products generally used the same device because Apple only offered a few options for each device platform. But as Apple started to expand each platform there has been resistance by the die-hards against anything that wasn't the latest and greatest.

That is why there was a segment of the Apple community that not only disliked the iPhone SE but took it as a personal insult that Apple would dare offer something that they themselves didn't like or want.

We see the same thing with the Macbook Air. Of course the keyboard issue with the post-2017 macbooks introduced an additional wrinkle, but there is still the same "tribalism" among Macbook Air owners.

I think the larger point for Apple is, based on comments here and elsewhere, that the Macbook Air (regardless of generation of device) generates a strong following. That's pretty unique.

DrDweeb

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
I am rocking the last of the 11" models, Core 17 2.2 from Early 2015. I got is "slightly used" in 2016 for a good price as it was clear it would be the last ever of this model. I wasn't willing to move to USB-C and no mag-safe which has saved my machine from more than 1 fall, plus 11" and size were important. It replaced an Core-Duo 1.4 from Late 2010 that only died this past month (OWC SSD failure, again). The used market for the MBAs seems robust at the moment.

I should add that I also have an Aspire. The trackpad is rubbish and the keyboard not very good.

IMHO, the MBA range should have had an iteration with Retina screens and one more CPU generation.

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
I am rocking the last of the 11" models, Core 17 2.2 from Early 2015. I got is "slightly used" in 2016 for a good price as it was clear it would be the last ever of this model. I wasn't willing to move to USB-C and no mag-safe which has saved my machine from more than 1 fall, plus 11" and size were important. It replaced an Core-Duo 1.4 from Late 2010 that only died this past month (OWC SSD failure, again). The used market for the MBAs seems robust at the moment.
My 2012 11" MBA is now my wife's daily driver. It's the best laptop I've ever owned. Replaced the 128GB SSD with a 480GB Transcend Jet Drive a few years ago and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. At one point, I had it set up to triple boot between OS X, Windows 10, and Ubuntu.

Reactions: sracer

Mainsail

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2010
Agreed. My 2019 base model MBA has been flawless. Zero issues. The keyboard issues seem to be resolved with the last iteration. It has been in the wild for almost 8 months, and you rarely read about problems with the 2019 KB.

My 2014 MBA was a great machine. The 2019 MBA is on pace to replace it as my all time favorite.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Agreed. My 2019 base model MBA has been flawless. Zero issues. The keyboard issues seem to be resolved with the last iteration. It has been in the wild for almost 8 months, and you rarely read about problems with the 2019 KB.

My 2014 MBA was a great machine. The 2019 MBA is on pace to replace it as my all time favorite.
Yep. My 2019 MBA still amazes me.. I've been editing videos in iMovie for two days, due to a project, and it has been chugging along without issue. This machine looks to be my go to workhorse for a few years.. and then I'll buy another one. Lots of people dislike them? Great.. more for me :)

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
The tech is dated as hell but the decade-old design is unbeatable even today not even by Apple themselves. The laptop looks like a floating spaceship, especially with older designed Mac OS. Piece of art.

But wouldn't get one today just because insides are terribly dated. 1440x900 ? I use one myself and love it but even phones have better resolutions.

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
I totally get the love for that model of Air, but no way could I use that screen on a day to day basis any more.

Ybersetzer

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2019
Germany
I use my 2015 MBA i5 (8 gigs of RAM) hooked up to a 4k monitor (yes, the 2015 MBA and onward can drive 4k @60Hz via Thunderbolt/Display Port), so for the most part I'm not stuck with its low resolution screen. But when I am out and about - hell yeah, I wish it had a retina display ....