2017 MBP 13" Dock and Display questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by treimche, Aug 2, 2017.

1. treimche macrumors member

I have a new touch bar 13" MacBook Pro coming, and I'm looking for a dock for it. I like to use it as a desktop once in a while so some USB ports, SD, external display (either HDMI or Display Port - explained below), and also a headphone port for external speakers. It appears most of the docks do not have a headphone port on them. Besides the OWC USB C dock https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock, are there any others that have a headphone port?

Next question is about the display. I have a Samsung 28" 4K monitor that has HDMI and Display Port. With my current 2012 MBP I use HDMI, but with the new MBP, should I use Display Port instead? I don't really know the big difference between the specs of the two. The external monitor connection will help determine which dock I need to buy.

Do any of these function as a portable charger at the same time? I think that would also be a really nice feature.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Display port is generally better for computers as that's what it was designed for. Some differences in specification exist in ability to push 4K 60Hz etc. Assuming both the DP and HDMI on the monitor are indeed the same spec, I'd get the HDMI as it gives you a little better ease of flexibility further down the road. Otherwise get the DP. Thinking about it though does your monitor not have a 3.5mm out? Most do, so you could just use HDMI and take the 3.5mm out to your speakers? It'd be an easier solution, or just use the 3.5mm on the computer, with an extender if need be.

You're usually best using straight cables, not adapters; if you want the best. The best situation would be a thunderbolt 3 dock, but that will be expensive compared to USB ones.

Portable charger wise maybe? Most offer passthrough and that one will happily allow you to charge your 13" through it. There could be one or two with a built in charger allowing a single AC connection, but it'd be fairly big and bulky, in an emerging market all about portability. Have a google, I'm sure there's 1.

3. treimche thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input. I didn't even think of the headphone jack on the monitor, which it does have. I'm not very familiar with Display Port so I'm researching some now.