2017 MBP 13 inch Extremely Slow Internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NGHong, Jun 20, 2018.

1. NGHong macrumors newbie

NGHong

My internet is very slow, the ping is extremely high to the point where some websites don't even connect. My mail won't load, yet some websites seem to work fine, but awfully slow. I tried hard resetting the router, I tried switching from 2ghz to 5ghz and still nothing.

It's odd because I have an iPhone and a few other computers in the house that seem to be working perfectly fine. I have 100mbps internet and everything else is blazing fast.

What could be the issue?

Wireless Diagnostics indicate "Lan Connectivity Failure" You are connected to a network that cannot connect to your wireless router. Try resetting your wireless router.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

1) Try to change the wireless encryption on the router to WPA2-PSK/WPA2-AES only, no mixed modes.
    2) Reset PRAM by holding CMD + ALT + P + R on startup until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times, then let go.
    3) Create a new user profile for testing purposes; if it works fine through the new user account, you know it's definitely software.

Please let me know how you get on.

3. jerryk macrumors 601

A few things. 5GHz is faster but does not penetrate walls and floors well.

And is this just your home network, or does it happen in other locations.

But since your are failing diagnostic why not take it in. I assume you are under warranty still.

4. NGHong, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

NGHong thread starter macrumors newbie

NGHong

Other user profiles give the same issues.

Command+option+P+R takes me to recovery utilities and changing wireless encryption does not work

It must be something with my router since I took it to my friends house And all worked fine

Edit: Fixed! Turned out my router was defective and Comcast replaced my router for me. All is good now

5. Painter2002 macrumors 65816

Painter2002

Just a tidbit of suggestion, invest in your own WiFi router, there are tons of great routers out there that will last for years and be WAY faster and more reliable than any router you internet provider will give you.

I had so many issues with Time Warner routers crashing that I invested in a Nighthawk router (yes it’s not cheap, $200ish), but boy I’ll tell you what, I can pull a nice 400mbs download on my MacBook Pro with this router. And I’ve had the router for over a year, no issues. It’s worth the investment.

6. jerryk macrumors 601

I would take this a bit further depending up on speed. if you have a 300 mbps or higher get your own cable modem AND router, separate units. Having you own cable modem means no rental fee from Comcast. Also, you can get one of the fast Netgear units that can go up to a 1 Gbps. And having a separate router means less heat than the combined units and likely higher reliability.

7. Painter2002 macrumors 65816

Painter2002

I definitely agree with this, but unfortunately I live in an apartment and plan on moving and some some modems don’t work with every provider in the area. Once I settle down and I know which provider I’m sticking with, I plan on doing this for sure!