2017 MBP 15" TB battery seems to crater while I'm using it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Redbeard25, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Redbeard25 macrumors regular

Redbeard25

I don't want to complain, really. My work got me this laptop, and it's pretty spectacular. It just seems to devour battery.

In 30 minutes, it's dropped from 60% to 24%. In the time of this post, it's dropped another 4%.

[​IMG]

I have been using google apps and Atlassian Jira on Chrome and Zoom video conferencing.

Here are the offenders:
    [​IMG]

This is as much as I know to do in preferences:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tips? Thoughts? Any help in fixing my battery issues would be appreciated. I'd just rather have a predictable pattern rather than a flash crash.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    Oh, Brightness - 50%. Forgot that data point.

2. Hippocrates macrumors member

Google Chrome is often the main culprit. Is it possible for you to use google apps via safari? You will see an improvement in battery life.

3. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Something seems to have engaged the dgpu, that’ll certainly help chew through battery life

4. Redbeard25 thread starter macrumors regular

Redbeard25

I can give it a shot. All my bookmarks and history are in Chrome though. #lazy
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    True.... any usual suspects there? This was without an external monitor attached.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

The energy tab will tell you which program is forcing the dGPU. There is a program called gfxCardStatus at gfx.io.

Install this program, then use the menu item to set the GPU selection to integrated before opening the program that wants the dGPU. This will keep the dGPU from firing up and sucking away your battery.

The Kindle program wants dGPU for some reason, so I use gfxCardStatus for force integrated only.