2017 MBP w/IGZO Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meinsideyoumakesgoo, Jan 6, 2017.

1. meinsideyoumakesgoo macrumors newbie

+ Kaby +battery fix (fingers crossed)? Is there any reason I shouldn't retreat to my 2011 MBA, return my 2016 MBP, and wait this out?

Can anyone handicap the chances than an update is only a few months from now? If the silent refresh is in March, it's no contest.

2. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

you should always base your purchase decisions on if you need to upgrade or not. If you don't need a new MBP, you should wait until you do because tech is always evolving. If you need it, buy it now. A "silent refresh" isn't something that will happen if they're updating all the stuff like you said. Silent refreshes are usually just chip refreshes.

3. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Without Kaby Lake you have No IGZO display. Kaby Lake or Coffe Lake I forgot which will bring Low Power DDR4 I'd wait for that and HDR.

Sky Lake and DDR3 is just a top end 2015 system It's missing out on alot

4. Scott G. macrumors member

I'm wondering if the low supply of the new Macbooks is because they're planning refresh soon. Surely they shouldn't still have a shortage. The same thing happened with the 2016 Razer Blade w/970m. It was never in stock, and like 2 months later, they came out with the 1060 version. Now, 2 months after that, they have full stock of all the models. You can see the same with the Aorus laptops. They all came out with the new 10 series cards, but have been hard to come by. This week at CES, they announced updated models with Kaby Lake processors.

My guess is Apple is only making as many as they have to, and that a refresh is coming sooner than expected. I'll be pretty upset, because I probably could have waited if I knew that's what they were going to do.

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I don't see a refresh/update til spring 2018, but that's nothing more than a gut feeling.

6. anthony13 macrumors member

Battery duration really isnt a big deal to me. My 2012 MBP's battery dies at like 45% pretty consistently and has for the past two years. I'm by power most the time I'm using it. And with all the programs that I use heavily even if the battery is great it's still going to drain pretty quick with Photoshop, AutoCAD, and spread sheet programs open. My iPad is my travel movie companion for plane trips and that battery lasts forever.

And then the Kaby lake processors aren't exactly blowing the sky lakes out of the water in terms of performance.

Even knowing we might get a refresh in the Fall, I need a new machine now, and really wont regret it. And hey we're probably realistically only 3 or 4 years away from a complete redesign so might as well get this one now :p