2017 MBP wont power on after just cutting out off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgbr, Sep 25, 2017.

1. jgbr, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

jgbr macrumors 6502a

I've had my MBP 15inch top spec for a month and all has been well.

Today machine was idling playing music and suddenly just went 'clean off'.

Tried all the normals and can not get it to power on, even changes power supplys, ports. Just cold off and even no warmth in power block.

Chances of blown motherboard [why!] and looking at teardowns if data is soldered SSD's chance of getting data off them?

I am guessing they wont be able to replace the logic board as its a custom board and I am kind of saying im in my rights to ask for a new one?

I'm guessing as file vault was on too [i have the key] that im royal screwed for data recovery.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Could have been a power surge or something has blown a resistor.

Either way, it's a new Mac, call Apple first otherwise this will just result in wild guessing and speculation. You are within your right to ask that they look at it and assuming it wasn't caused by yourself, repair it. But only Apple can do that, not us.

They'll also be better equipped to answer questions on data recovery.

3. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the responses.

Sitrep: Took into apple and going to try and take the data off it. 99 USD charge - i kind of find this odd consdiering its 5 weeks old and under apple care...data loss was because of their manfuacting problem surely...anyway i can see the arguement. After 5 week I had got to the stage of trusting the device that my backups and working data were slightly out of sync.

Then its going off for repair. Machine completely dead. Very odd that it went jsut from playing music and emails going to BANG off. No pop noise, nothing.

I did wonder however my postion on this: 5 weeks old and top spec BTO order..they said I couldnt have a new one because it was outside the 14 days but im wondering my actual postion on this.... I guess im not sure how I feel about a repair on a machine that is new and failed because of them.....

Any thoughts?

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

The “repair” will probably consist of attaching your existing screen to a new laptop base. Maybe you’ll get the same bottom cover / rubber feet back. People have been getting complete lower case replacements due to a single stuck key. I’m guessing you’ll see top case, battery and mobo replacement at least. Sucks you’ll be without your machine for a bit.

The $99 recovery fee is a bit **** too, IMHO. I’d call up Apple customer support and see if they can’t credit that fee.

Still, this does point out the need for up to date backups. I’ve tried to help too many customers after computer crashes when I had a computer consulting business. Ask for their latest backup and they give you a blank stare.

745BEC03-8E81-43B4-A93D-E7B0458D9302.jpeg

5. robvas macrumors 68030

6. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep dead completely. Scary stuff really, machine only had itunes and email open and just went off cold. No shutdown or anything.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Just a reminder that any electronics can fail at any time for any one of thousands of reasons. Its the nature of the beast and while things have got better I doubt that will go away in the next 50 years or so.

8. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Youve got to wonder as we live in this digital age that we should be really hot on quaklty control, they know how to make this stuff now. Backing up seems an ancient way of doing buisness but of course I understand it.

However its still not that easy for those we can not use the cloud such as myself who has confidental research data.

9. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Get a local NAS. If it's confidential and expensive data, shouldn't be an issue to invest in a decent quality backup server.

Anyway let us know the outcome, Apple will send it in for repair but at the moment we don't know what the fault is. They won't replace it buy they'll at least repair it for you. Don't sweat too hard on it either, just accept it and see if you can get that $99 refunded if it was the machines fault and not your own.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It's not about quality control, quality control is amazing these days and apples failure rates are some of the lowest across the electronics industry for all their product lines. You having a computer fail is not an indication of bad quality control it is an indication of the complexity and fragility of devices and the fact that it happens so infrequently is because of such brilliant QC at every stage.

Backing up is a fact of life and there are various easy and unobtrusive solutions that don't need the public cloud. You can have your own encrypted home network with network attached storage constantly backing up on your home wifi. You can have a dock with an attached encrypted external hard drive that backs up whenever you dock your mac at home.. You could carry an encrypted USB stick with all your data backed up. To name just 3.

11. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sitrep: managed to get refund for the data transfer.

Machine went to repair yesterday and they 'fixed it' within a day and its arriving back at the store today.

One has to wonder what I will be greeted with consdiering it was at the repair facility for about 12 hours....

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Possibly replacement of everything between lid and rubber feet and quick burn in test.

Supposedly the battery glue is so strong that a battery replacement includes replacement of the metal it’s glued to (the metal your keyboard keys poke through).

13. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there any advice on things i should look out for or test on reciept? i know about backup but I dont want another unreliable machine.

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I don’t know, just run your heaviest tasks I guess? If you hold down the “D” key during startup, the MBP will run a diagnostics routine. Don’t forget to look at the receipt to see what parts they replaced. :)

15. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Completely new machine by looks of it, no reason why, just a complete replacement.

I wonder if i should just install High sierra while im here or not...

Diagnostics show no errors and ive tested power on every port, checked keybaord and screen.

16. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Sweet! Explains why it took so little time to get a box heading back to you, LOL!

Good luck with your second new machine. :)