2017 MBP

Kdg7698

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
my 2017 MBP with touchbar just crashed. Apparently my ssd, airport, and keyboard/trackpad all failed simultaneously. The guy told me it was probably water damage but there is no way. Can anyone give me any idea how else this can happen? Please and thank you!

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Short of water damage or it being struck directly by lightning I cannot think of many possibilities for this to happen.

Who is "the guy"? Are you in San Francisco and he tried to sell you some "feel good" tea to fix your Mac?

Kdg7698

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Short of water damage or it being struck directly by lightning I cannot think of many possibilities for this to happen.

Who is "the guy"? Are you in San Francisco and he tried to sell you some "feel good" tea to fix your Mac?
Haha superfluous details but the guy from the Genius Bar.

How much liquid does it take to do this? And how long until it would crash. There’s no way any liquid touched it within the last few months but I’m trying to rack my brain for any possible exposure..
[doublepost=1537232291][/doublepost]Also, to clarify he did not tell me there was water damage because he just sent it out for repair but he said if they find water damage they’ll contact me to authorize the repair at a way higher price.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
When they (Genius Bar) denied warranty on my 7 Plus due to liquid damage (water resistant my backside), they opened it up and took detailed photos of the corrosion (water entered through the SIM card slot.).

Tell them to open it and prove the liquid sensors have triggered.

Then again, water damage could take some time to show up since oxidation does take some time.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Haha superfluous details but the guy from the Genius Bar.

How much liquid does it take to do this? And how long until it would crash. There’s no way any liquid touched it within the last few months but I’m trying to rack my brain for any possible exposure..
[doublepost=1537232291][/doublepost]Also, to clarify he did not tell me there was water damage because he just sent it out for repair but he said if they find water damage they’ll contact me to authorize the repair at a way higher price.
I would think that if you spilled enough liquid into it for it to have a catastrophic failure, you would certainly remember doing so. Unless you have other family members/friends who may have done it while you were away or you are a black out drunk :)

Short of that, as others have said, I would ask for proof that liquid damage is the cause.

Reactions: Kdg7698

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Good. Proves that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I wouldn't worry too much. Water damage is usually very obvious and is visible to the naked eye. If the sensors haven't been triggered, than you might be in for a warranty repair.

Reactions: Kdg7698
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.