2017 NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hallux, Feb 28, 2017.

1. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I didn't see one so I figured I'd start one..

Daytona 500 was this past weekend.

I have mixed feelings on the "stage" format. Sure, it adds some goals mid-race but the pace laps run (that they were FORCED to run) count against the next stage.

I kind of like the new crash rules.
    • If your car is damaged you get an opportunity to repair it on pit lane - 5 minute minute clock starts and counts entire time on pit road (including travel time).
    • You are not allowed to add body panels, only remove then add tape as needed to secure what's left
    • 5 minute clock pauses after leaving pit road.
    • If the car can meet a minimum track speed, the 5 minute clock is eliminated and any further repairs can use as much time as desired as long as it's on pit road and you still can't replace body panels.
    • If the car can't meet the minimum speed it has to come back to pit road and they can use the rest of their clock to try to meet that minimum speed
    • If the clock expires, the car is out of the race
    • If the car has to go to the garage, it's done.
    • If a driver brings their car to the garage, regardless of the damage, they must visit the infield care center

Also interesting this year, NASCAR has allowed Toyota to introduce a new race car design in advance of the production version hitting the showrooms.

2. skinsone macrumors regular

Have the same mixed feelings on this new stage format. I do like the new crash rules. I didn't much like when the drivers went to the garage and 50 or so laps later came back out on the track only to later cause a pile up. So I am glad they changed them.

Gonna miss smoke ... here kitty kitty .....

3. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

He's still around, as an owner. It's weird seeing the Stewart-Haas cars as Fords though...

4. skinsone macrumors regular

I am just glad I got to meet smoke at one of his Richmond races. He has such a raw sense of humor. At least now he can do what he wants running sprint cars. Not a Ford fan. Love my Silverado.

5. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I don't follow NASCAR, but we generally tune into the Daytona 500, it's such an epic event. That was some amazing weather this year too (we're actually about 1-1/2 hours north of Daytona).

Side note: the coverage on the Fox Sports ATV app was excellent, and I love being able to configure the main broadcast with 2/3/4 split window views from in-car cameras. Did the same with the Rolex 24 a couple of weeks ago.