2017 rMB stuck keys solution

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FilmIndustryGuy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. FilmIndustryGuy macrumors regular

thought this wouldn't happen but i already experienced 2 stuck keys in new mb. one being the spacebar. I found that using an electric blower/duster around the key fixes it. Seems dust can make keys sticky. I feel all new mac keyboards will be plagued with sticky keys. invest in a good electric blower or cans of compressed air. the electric blower has more power than compressed air

2. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Thanks.
    this solution was discussed many times with all models

3. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Yes I never this problem on my rmb 2015. But I have experienced stucked keys for my rmb 2017 about three weeks ago. The problem disappeared after I used a soft brush to gently sweep under the affected keys.

4. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I got my right Shift stuck on 2016, got canned air today and Shift works again. I thought the 2nd gen keyboard removed that problem though. Sigh.

5. Elcompa, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Elcompa macrumors member

Elcompa

I too have had to use canned air to fix stuck keys 4 times in the past 7 months on my 2016 ntb MacBook Pro. Although I have had to use it more often than in times past with other MacBooks I have had, it is still not too much of a bother. Just disappointing that these things cost so much and have a basic problem of cheaper machines.

I bought my wife the 2016 12 in. Macbook. Also had to use canned air on it a couple of times.

6. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I still love this keyboard as long as it works properly :) I've had to use canned air twice in 8.5 months. (Still the 2016 model.) The thing is I had to use canned air zero times on all other laptops I owned in my life AND desktop keyboards. Since 1996.

Maybe third generation keyboard will resolve it... :p

7. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I'm following along with this thread and trying to prepare myself for the time when I get the same stuck keys problem (it sounds like it is when not if it happens).

A couple of comments here, have left me a little confused on the resolution. For instance polee posted:
    So is the resolution to use forced air (blower or compressed) around the keys, or do we need to somehow spray under the keys? If we need to get under the keys, are people somehow lifting keys up or out in order to do so?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I just want to be certain on the correct way to resolve this problem when it occurs.

8. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

Do stuck keys eventually affect all rMB owners? Is it one of those inevitabilities, like the 2011 MBP's dGPU failing?

9. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I have never experienced it on my 2017 rMB. But then again, my primary machine is my 2017 iMac, so I don't have as many hours on my MB as some of you.