2017 tbMBP Screen Gasket

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerry16, Jun 19, 2017.

1. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

Picked up a 2017 tbMBP last week and absolutely love it. The touch bar is so much more than I even expected. I started looking at the screen tonight and noticed the lid gasket is drooping (can't move it back - it appears to be glued down that way) and these areas around the perimeter of the screen/gasket are marked up. It feels petty to complain over a slightly drooped gasket but at the same time $3k is a lot of money to just accept imperfections like that.

Looking for opinions here on whether or not it's worth exchanging/what you all would do. I'm near an Apple Store so that's no big deal. How does one go about returning a computer and then asking for the exact same model again? What do I even say? Would they give me grief over such a little thing?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6080.JPG IMG_6081.JPG

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Take it back get them to swap it out or just fit a new gasket for you its well within both return period and warranty there will be no issues at all.

3. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to return it tonight or see if they can just exchange it. For the price I just don't want that staring at me every time I open the lid.

4. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

That looks like ****.
    Unacceptable; I'd return it.

5. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Going in tonight after work. Just nervous I'm going to sound like a total petty whiner complaining about a droopy gasket. It took me two or three days to even notice it but now that I know it's there... Ideally I want the exact same machine - just swapped out.. I don't want any warranty work on my existing MBP for obvious reasons, which I'm sure they may suggest rather than a straight up exchange. I guess if they give me grief I'll just ask for my money back.

I did consider swapping it for space gray and not even mentioning the gasket as the space gray looks sharp but I've heard that space gray shows prints and smudges a lot more than the silver. The silver is also such a classic look.

Also nervous about the exchange lottery. First world problems I guess.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Don't worry, Apple Geniuses seem well trained in the art of patronisation. You'll be absolutely fine and feel like a princess after they're done with you ;).

In all seriousness if it bothers you then take it back, they'd rather you're happy than anything. Hopefully they'll be able to sort it there and then for you.

7. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Yeah I wouldn't have it repaired if you're under the 14 or 15 day (whichever it is) return time.
    Exchange it, taking a look at the replacement in the store, or get your money back. You're not being a whiner; a machine that costs that much shouldn't look like that.

8. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll