iPad Pro 2018 12.9 - White spots on screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clapham_apple, Apr 14, 2019.

1. clapham_apple macrumors newbie

clapham_apple

Hey,

I’ve have two IPP 2018 12.9 LTE’s now, and both have had white spots/ backlight bleeding on the screen - I can’t decide whether to bear the embarrassment of returning this one if white spots are a common occurrence - any thoughts?

2. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Mine is in perfect condition.

3. Fenhalls macrumors 6502

Embarrassment be damned. You've paid a high price for a luxury item. If it's faulty that should be a matter for Apple's embarrassment and not yours. And I don't see why there should be any defects on the screen.

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Pics please!

I wonder if this white spot issue with the 2018 iPad Pros is the same issue that some of the 2017 iPad Pros get.

Not sure why you'd think it's embarrassing to return them. I'd most definitely bring them in for a warranty replacement.

5. Fenhalls macrumors 6502

Spotgate Part II? Now there's an unsettling thought.

6. clapham_apple thread starter macrumors newbie

clapham_apple

7. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

The second one I can hardly see, which is maybe the photo, the first two are very clear. My iPad 12.9 LTE does not have this issue and its not backlight bleed as I know it which I know as light bleeding from the backlight onto dark backgrounds generally more noticeable in darker condition. If you are not happy change it, good ones are out there, possibly just a bad batch of screens, but whatever the cause change it till you are happy with the screen, but don't get to fixated, nothing is perfect and the second one I would not have noticed from that image tbh unless you had highlighted it. I imagine like most things though once you see it you cant avoid seeing it.

8. Fenhalls, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

Fenhalls macrumors 6502

He seems to be quite an unlucky chap, at least as far as iPads go:

"I returned my iPad Pro 2018 12.9 LTE the other day due to yellowing on the landscape edges... however I've now been through 6 replacement devices as each has had dead or stuck pixels on the screen which as a designer, is far from ideal. I'm not even worried about slight bends in the casing anymore - I just want a screen with no dead pixels :("

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-12-9-quality-issues.2156979/page-2#post-27235927

9. Mike Boreham, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

Can you clarify the second pic please? is the problem within the black circle, or the big white spot NE of the black circle?

FWIW I can't see a "small pin spot always viable on bright backgrounds" in the second pic, unless it is a slightly paler area slightly above and to the right of centre of black circle, but that isn't a "pin spot".

Struggling to see anything wrong with the first pic as well....maybe its worse in the flesh.

10. clapham_apple thread starter macrumors newbie

clapham_apple

F4E77BFA-ADFC-4545-AC67-B91F4E60F309.jpeg
    It’s within the black circle (the NE spot is window reflection). I’ve attached another picture - if you zoom out the bright spot is easier to see.

Unfortunately photos of screens don’t really show the issue clearly enough.

11. Non-Polar macrumors regular

What's even the point of this reply?

12. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Why would you even care?

13. Non-Polar macrumors regular

Because I'm interested in this possible issue if I were to purchase an iPad Pro. Having just the short reply of "Don't see it on my device" is useless because we don't expect this issue to arise in 100% of the devices. However, even 5-10% of them being affected is worrying. Why people who own Apple products always give these useless replies on possible issues like the MBP keyboards or these iPad issues never ceases to amaze me.

14. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

You're kidding, right?

15. Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

It's also easier to see if you scroll the image up and down quickly.

Photos of screen defects are very unreliable....either they look worse or better than the reality. Only you know if it is going to bug you for ever. When I have been in similar situations sometimes it goes one way, and I forget about it once the new purchase paranoia has subsided. Sometimes it goes the other way and I have to return it.

16. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

The displays are different from 2017 to 2018 iPad Pro. It’s just a later revision of the same display.

I don’t think the 2018 iPad pros have any kind of white spot issues.

17. killhippie, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

I see what you mean, my 12.9 LTE is great best display I have had so far and no touch disease either. Then again I also have stopped looking for defects tbh, same with the iPhone and Macs. Its like the whole bending issue, mine has a slight curve, but so slight I really had to look very hard, not something I would do normally do, as straining my eyes to look along the edges of a device has never been something I would consider doing. in daily use I would never have even noticed and its not bending on its own either :rolleyes:

I think people don't realise that no matter how expensive these devices are they're still mass produced and the LTE model appears that the physical top and bottom edges are not part of the main body but welded together with the plastic for the antenna in this new bonding process, so some slight deviation is not actually a huge issue really, especially considering how many millions are made. OLED TV's from Sony and LG etc are prone to have warped panels from time to time but unless its obvious when unboxed I dont look at the edge of my TV I look at the screen. Ive gotten to the point where I just use the things, I'm happy with how they work (as long as they do) and I don't go looking for defects or taking measurements with a micrometer.

I just can't see the point of adding stress to my life with first world problems, and playing Apple roulette by returning a device 6 times or more. No thanks, its sunny outside today and I want to enjoy my life, however if my custom wheelchair was hugely bent and I couldn't go in a straight line, that would actually matter. ;)

18. Fenhalls macrumors 6502

I would imagine that there are few advantages to this. However, you have performed the great good service of reminding us of the things that really matter in life, and for that I at least am extremely grateful.

19. Balders macrumors member

Balders

Resurrecting an old thread to say I’ve had the same problem with 2 x 2018 12.9 Pros, WiFi only models. Exact same white spot and position as thread starter. Once seen, it’s difficult to unsee it. Looking along the glass, I can see there seems to be some pressure between the glass/lcd right where the white spot is so I’m guessing this may be a problem with the lamination process.

Think I’m gonna wait it out until new iPads are released in hopefully a few months... Pity cos it was otherwise a nice upgrade from my Gen 1 Pro.

20. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

With a total of just a handful of iPad pros in the world with hardly noticeable white spots on them, you should definitely pass until the next iPad Pro lol.

21. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I'd be somewhat surprised if new Pros were released this year. I'm predicting first half of 2020.