2018 13 inch MacBook Pro crashes after giving a jerk

AamodJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2019
So this has been happening with me for a while now.

I am using my mac, and when I try to move the slightest, sometimes the screen flickers and then goes black. The trackpad becomes unresponsive and it seems to have crashed. Initially, I had to keep holding the power button so that I force shutdown, and then I had to wait for about 15 - 20 min before I can press the power button so that it boots up. If I pressed the power button before that, it doesn't boot up. This happened frequently for a while (almost every time I moved it or gave it a jerk), then after updating to 10.14.3, the frequency is reduced but it still exists.

Recently, I found a new way for my mac to crash. If I'm using my mac and its in my hands, and if I keep it on a desk or something, with the hinge side of the bottom panel touching first, screen flickers and it crashes. There's also another way of recreating this, which works almost all the time. I give my mac a really harsh jerk or rotate it fast (usually this works), screen flickers and crashes. Funny thing is, sometimes the trackpad doesn't become unresponsive and when I force touch it, the screen starts up in login screen instantly. If it doesn't start up on the login screen but the trackpad is responsive, I do the same thing, give a powerful jerk or rotate it fast, it randomly shows the login screen.

The sad part is, I can't seem to find the crash logs in console whenever it crashes.
Anybody else facing the same issue?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It should still be in warranty, call apple and have them diagnose and fix the issue. It doesn't sound right and there may be a cable, or component that is failing.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Good think it's still under warranty! Take that sucker into an Apple store and they will 1) fix the issue, or 2) replace your machine. Sorry for your bad luck and let us know how it turns out.

AamodJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2019
So I found out something new.

If I caffeinate my mac, it doesn't crash / become unresponsive when I give it a jerk. But if I don't, then it happens quite frequently.

Really not sure what the problem could be...

AamodJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2019
It doesn't matter what the problem is. Take it to Apple for warranty service. I'm actually kind of sad that people on the internet have to be told to do what ought to be common sense.
I never said that I wouldn't take it to Apple.
I took it to Apple, and all they're doing is reinstalling the OS and telling me that the problem is fixed, when it clearly isn't (they did this twice in the last week itself). Currently in the process of getting the hardware checked for issues, but I don't think it'll happen, the service here is pretty bad.
[doublepost=1554121300][/doublepost]
Try moving your Mac to another location, sounds like something is tripping up the magnetic sensors.

Q-6
It happens regardless of where I go, I guess it could be a hardware issue. I hope it'll get fixed.