2018 15 MBP noisy SSD and power issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman4789, Sep 26, 2018.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have recently started using a new 2018 15 MBP with i9 and 512GB SSD. I have noticed that when I plug it in to charge over night, when I wake up in the morning the bottom of the laptop is still warm? It is not significantly hot but just warm where I presume the battery is. The reason why I am asking is, the laptop takes between 2-3 hours to fully charge after which my understanding is the charger should stop feeding any charge to the laptop? So I'm wondering if there is any issue with the power regulation? If I am asleep over night for 6 hours or so, that would mean it should have cooled down by then after charging? I have a 2015 15 MBP magsafe 2 with no similar issues which is not warm a few hours after being full charge.

A second issue is the noise, I recently noticed when I was in a quiet room it seems like I can hear what sounds like an old style hard drive reading/writing. But my understanding is SSDs are supposed to be silent? It doesn't sound like fans but like a hard drive but just not as loud as the older ones under the keyboard. Does anyone else have this as my 2015bMBP with SSD is silent.

I'm wondering whether these are normal with the newer MBP's or whether it's something I should speak to the Genius Bar about?

Thanks for your input

2. fokmik macrumors 68030

Ssd under heavy load has a “hiss” sound, but you should notice it very hard.
    The other thing..i don’t know, it was happening a lot,every night or just 1 time?

3. mdnz macrumors regular

The hiss sound is not something you can fix. You can try to return it and pray the replacement is silent

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

@macman4789
    It's not the SSD you're hearing, it's the voltage regulators for one or more of the major components in the system, CPU or dGPU (if applicable) most likely, since they draw the most power and have the most powerful regulators.

5. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your replies. To answer your replies - the power thing happens every time I leave it plugged in over night, I wake up and the bottom of the laptop is warm, not massively hot but as if I’ve just been using it.

The noise is just weird as my 2015 MBP is completely silent but this new one the best way of describing it is an old style hard drive read/writing noise from the keyboard. So you’re saying others have this noise in their 2018 MBP’s?

6. Adeel_ macrumors member

Adeel_

7. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

Have you noticed any other issues with your MBP? Do you know what it is?

8. Adeel_ macrumors member

Adeel_

I don’t have any other issue with my MBP.
    I think the noise is called “Coil whine” and it’s normal to have it.

9. SDColorado macrumors 68030

SDColorado

Do you still hear the clicking noise when the laptop is on battery? Or only when it is plugged in? My guess is that it may be related to the PSU.

10. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

The noise is there whether it’s plugged in or not it seems. Doesn’t really seem any different. If it is a ‘coil whine’ noise, what does that mean? What is actually making the noise I can hear?

11. Saeloe macrumors newbie

I can hear hissing sound very faintly when running Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (read and write speeds are 2670-2768 MB/s). The hissing sound is so faint that in totally silent room, I can't hear it in normal laptop-in-front-of-me -position but if I put my ear near the left side of the MacBook Pro, it's audible. Doesn't bother me. i9/32GB/1TB/560X, Manufacture date 2018-09-17, macOS Mojave 10.14.

12. Kris Kelvin macrumors regular

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018) seems to have the same issue. The noise is very faint (even less noticeable than on my 15-inch), but it's there.
    I listened to a handful of our 13-inch ones, and they all have it, so... not sure if there's ANY MacBook Pro 2018 that's completely silent. :)

13. Ploki macrumors 68030

not anymore. my 2012 was silent, but the dreaded toshiba ssds whine