2018 15" MBP Running Hot

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Last week I purchased a 2018 15" MBP, 16GM RAM, 2.2 i7. I have updated all of the software, finished restoring my iCloud files, etc, but it is still getting scorching hot under the most basic functions. For example, I just had Photos and Lightroom open doing very minor editing and the keys were almost getting too hot to use. I was previously using a 2013 13" MBP that could run iMovie, Lightroom, photos, mail, and safari all at once and never once seemed to get hot.

I reached out to Apple and they said they suspected my machine was still indexing, but that was two days ago. Any ideas what else could be behind this? I'm going to have to send this back if this is the norm, because I can't imagine how loud the fans will spin once I start editing video. Thanks!

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
I have about 130GB of photos on iCloud. When I got my machine it took about a week before the photos were done indexing. I think it will be fully dependent on how many photos you have and probably how many faces are in your photos. Open up activity monitor and see if anything is under heavy use like NSUrlsomethingsomething or anything with the word photo in it. You may just want to let your computer stay on overnight so it can index 24/7 until it's done.

Reactions: SDColorado

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
Last week I purchased a 2018 15" MBP, 16GM RAM, 2.2 i7. I have updated all of the software, finished restoring my iCloud files, etc, but it is still getting scorching hot under the most basic functions. For example, I just had Photos and Lightroom open doing very minor editing and the keys were almost getting too hot to use. I was previously using a 2013 13" MBP that could run iMovie, Lightroom, photos, mail, and safari all at once and never once seemed to get hot.

I reached out to Apple and they said they suspected my machine was still indexing, but that was two days ago. Any ideas what else could be behind this? I'm going to have to send this back if this is the norm, because I can't imagine how loud the fans will spin once I start editing video. Thanks!
It is the i7-8XXX CPu's, no manufacturer really has adequately put a cooling solution to work around how much more powerful these CPU's are than their Kabylake predecessors. These will hit 90-100 degrees+.

Reactions: doitdada

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
It is the i7-8XXX CPu's, no manufacturer really has adequately put a cooling solution to work around how much more powerful these CPU's are than their Kabylake predecessors. These will hit 90-100 degrees+.
Interesting, is there a risk to this, or are they built to handle running at these temps for a few years?
[doublepost=1543408153][/doublepost]
Thanks, I'll try this tonight, I have ~80GB photos to index

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
because non-leaded soldering, most of the laptop will not handle few years under heavy load and high temperatures, there is also a possibility of component failure like memory or SSD, after warranty it's more like a lottery