2018 15 mbp youtube issue

cstm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
So I am having this bricking, (random bricks appear on the screen, I don't know what it is called) when watching youtube videos full screen in safari when the internal graphics are in use. This does not occur when I use chrome or the dedicated graphics. Do others have same issue or do I have some defect? What could cause this? It also flashes red and green in similar fashion. Attached is a picture of the problem.

Attachments

cstm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Looks like the GPU is artifacting which is a problem. Does it only happen on YouTube?
Okay thanks for labelling it, I'll google artifacting.

Yeah so far I've only seen it on safari full screen while playing a youtube video that has somewhat fast movement while using the internal graphics card. It doesn't happen when the same video is playing but not in full screen or when the dedicated card is in use while playing a video in youtube full screen. It also doesn't happen in chrome even when it uses the internal graphics.

solouki

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
So I am having this bricking, (random bricks appear on the screen, I don't know what it is called) when watching youtube videos full screen in safari when the internal graphics are in use. This does not occur when I use chrome or the dedicated graphics. Do others have same issue or do I have some defect? What could cause this? It also flashes red and green in similar fashion. Attached is a picture of the problem.
Might this be a WiFi connectivity issue?

See the post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-issues-with-mbp-2018.2134315/#post-26810760

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
What OS are you using? I have experienced it before, seems like a bug in Mojave. It was completely fixed for me with the current 10.14.2 beta.

solouki

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
What OS are you using? I have experienced it before, seems like a bug in Mojave. It was completely fixed for me with the current 10.14.2 beta.
I'm currently using 10.14.1 GM, but I also had the same WiFi issues on betas as well as on 10.13.6.

I'm very happy to hear that the issue is fixed in 10.14.2 beta, as this gives me hope.

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
I'm currently using 10.14.1 GM, but I also had the same WiFi issues on betas as well as on 10.13.6.

I'm very happy to hear that the issue is fixed in 10.14.2 beta, as this gives me hope.
I don’t know anything about a WiFi issue, I was refering to the video artifacts in YouTube player described by OP.

solouki

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
I don’t know anything about a WiFi issue, I was refering to the video artifacts in YouTube player described by OP.
And I guess I'm asking if these video artifacts might be caused by corruption caused by WiFi connectivity issues whereby the 2018 MBP corrupts the packets? I've seen these WiFi issues be very intermittent, fixing themselves quickly, but any disconnection may mean that the WiFi transmission/receiver will not be able to ask for a retransmission of a corrupted packet therefore producing corrupted pixels in the images? Perhaps not, I'm just asking.

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
And I guess I'm asking if these video artifacts might be caused by corruption caused by WiFi connectivity issues whereby the 2018 MBP corrupts the packets?
It’s not really how it works. You’d get stuttering, not artifacts.

Besides, I haven’t seen any systematic reports on WiFi failures on 2018 model, nor have I observed any with our new units. I remember seeing an odd issue report here and there in the forums but there is nothing that would suggest a problem with the 2018 line in this regard - just the usual rare problems with individual setups.

solouki

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
It’s not really how it works. You’d get stuttering, not artifacts.

Besides, I haven’t seen any systematic reports on WiFi failures on 2018 model, nor have I observed any with our new units. I remember seeing an odd issue report here and there in the forums but there is nothing that would suggest a problem with the 2018 line in this regard - just the usual rare problems with individual setups.
Hi leman, I'm not an expert. But I do know that corrupted network packets should get retransmitted, producing stuttering, but I'm asking that if the network connection is actually disconnected in the middle of a packet transmission, then perhaps the receiver can't request for a retransmission of that corrupted packet due to the disconnection, and therefore the corrupted packet then gets displayed as a video artifact?

Secondly, not only have I reported (and very carefully documented) WiFi connectivity issues causing Safari problems, Mac App Store update failures, iTunes file deletions, Software Update failures, AirDrop failures from multiple different devices, rsync/ssh broken pipe errors (which, by the way, would be what happens to the YouTube videos), but I see that DXWolfie has reported identical WiFi problems. See his/her post #15 on the wifi-issues-with-mbp-2018 thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-issues-with-mbp-2018.2134315/#post-26811003

If you'd like to see my posts on these WiFi issues, see page 95 of the BridgeOS thread:

solouki

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
looks like software problem with Safari. Which version of MacOS do you have?
_Kiki_, I don't know if your note is addressed to me or not, but my WiFi connectivity issues are definitely not a software problem with Safari. While I've seen Safari loose Internet connection do to WiFi disconnects, I actually rarely use Safari ... my WiFi issues that I care about are in regards to data transfers using standard utilities such as Apple's own rsync and ssh utilities.

But to answer your query, I've seen many, many WiFi connectivity issues under macOS 10.13.6 as well as 10.14 as well as 10.14.1.

fokmik

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2016
USA
safari 12 on mojave always had this..it was a known issue that was fixed on safari 12.0.1
I hope this happen to you only on safari, in chrome is not an issue

Last edited: