2018 15" Retina Macbook Pro i7 TB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmhsam, Jul 28, 2018.

1. cmhsam macrumors 6502

Just picked up the new MBPro 15 Retina, i7, 16gb ram, 256gb hdd. Connecting it to the Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock and the text on the external monitor looks like it has rainbow colors. For example, in chrome, the URL bar shows the text and it looks a little fuzzy and text color looks like it has rainbow colors vs the traditional black. I have tried all four TB3 ports. Also tried clearing the SMC with no luck.

When using a Dell WD15 dock it seems to work fine. The elgato TB3 dock was working perfectly with the 2017 MBPro Retina 15. The Dell dock is a usb c dock.

Anyone have suggestions? I am still within my 14 day return period so am i better to exchange for a new one? Would prefer to not have to since i have all my apps installed.

TIA

2. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Time Machine-backup it and return it ASAP - and if that doesn’t work, maybe it’s the dock?

3. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Am going to try dock on another MacBook pro. The dock was working perfect before the notebook switch .
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2018 ---
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Am going to try dock on another MacBook pro. The dock was working perfect before the notebook switch .

4. mail4ng macrumors newbie

Did you solve the problem? Using the Elgato TB3 dock to power two Asus monitors (1980x1200). The fonts look like you described. It's unusable as it is now.

No reply from the Elgato support for now. Wondering if they ever will reply.

5. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately no. I don't seem to have this issue when connecting via thunderbolt 3 to hdmi adapter (from dock) but do notice that I lose signal to the monitor upon startup or resume from sleep. Workaround to this is unplug and plug hdmi cable.

6. mail4ng macrumors newbie

Well, this doesn't sound promising. Think I will return the Dock then and try another one. Thanks for your update.

7. mail4ng macrumors newbie

8. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. This worked for me and I just did this on my end.

9. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Return that junk dock, and get a good one like caldigit. http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-3-dock/thunderbolt-station-3-plus/

I had the Elgato and had nothing but issues with screens on it. Once I got the Caldigit, all my issues went away.